Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Grounds? What to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Apr 30, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Lately my truck won't start without the aid of a couple batteries. Fist I replaced the battery cables, nothing. Then, yesterday, i bought a start from a local junkyard, which does work. I took the old one out and bolted the new one in. Then i tried to crak it and i got the clicking sound like from a low battery, but it was much faster than usual, and almost sounded like the teeth weren't meshing. Is there anything special i needed to do when swapping starters? Could the spring be bad that holds the starter motor gear back from the flywheel after start? What couold be the problem. . . the other starter wouldn't even click, it just wouldn't turn over, even with a hot deep cycle and a hot crappy economy battery. i'm thinking i did something wrong when i installed the starter- and i'm pretty sure the old starter was the problem.

thanks

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Starter Problems- HELP FAST!

Honestly I wouldn't even bother with a junkyard starter. They are cheap enough that you can pickup a guaranteed remanufactured one relatively cheap.

I'd go with an AC-Delco starter and then forget about starting problems. I'm running on the same one now going on year #4.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd go with an AC-Delco starter and then forget about starting problems. I'm running on the same one now going on year #4.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Waxer's right. With an AC Delco starter you can eliminate the starter as a problem. Not always true with any other brand for some reason. Tho when you look at an AC Delco next to something like an Autozone, it's easy to see the differences.

4. BowtieRed

thanks, but that doesn't help- the one i bough was modified from a 454, it was a high compression starter that why i bought it. let me explain how poor i am now- i paid for the starter in $23 in quarters and $2 in dimes. I'm 16 and have no more money!

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Well lets say for example your $25 starter from the boneyard is a large paperweight, you just lost 25 bucks. Did you get some kind of warranty from the junkyard so you can get a replacement should that one be faulty?

Some things should just be bought new, especially things that can be the deciding factor on whether or not you have a working truck or not.

Try to think long term... Yeah you spend a little more money, but down the road throughout starter changes you end up saving a lot more from having to possibly get towed from wherever you are stranded, plus the cost and time of replacing more starters.

If anything I'd rebuild the one from the junkyard so that I know its in good working order.

Just a little friendly advice from someone who's been there before.

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Make sure that both of your battery connections are clean and secure. Remove and clean them to be sure. Then, check all of your ground connections. Run a jumper lead from your Neg batt terminal to your block or starter and see it solves the problem. If it does you need new battery to chassis and/or chassis to engine ground cables. If that still doesn't work, take your starters in to a parts house and have them bench tested. If they fail, pick up a decent reman starter with a decent warrantee so that if it does fail you can return it.

7. BowtieRed

i'll check those grounds, thanks

8. BowtieRed

ok, how can i get to the back of the ground directly from the starter? i positive cable obviously goes straight to the starter. it the whole starter ground, or is it the other smaller black cable. . .and if it's the small one, then where do i get to that? my negative goes straight to the alternator mount- and i cleaned that before i put the new cables in. what should i do?

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Huh? The starter doesn't have a ground wire. The big positive cable is always hot and runs from the battery. The small one is the signal from your ignition switch. The starter is connected to the block so it doesn't need a ground wire. Try the jumper cable deal, connect it to the engine somewhere (on a bolt head, bracket, etc.) but make sure it isnt insulated by paint or rust (wiggle it so it scratches through to bare metal). Your wires could be fried or corroded inside and still look good outside. Make sure your battery connections are clean, I've seen bad connections cause the same problems you describe several times. If you encounter an odd electrical problem there's a good chance it's ground related.

10. BowtieRed

Ok. . .well i have NEW battery cables. the connectiong to the alternator bracket is fine. Think I need to run a cable straight to the block? maybe straight to the starter mounting bolts? if that turns out to be the case could i run a permanent wire to those bolts? i'm at school now, but they just took parking spots away and they make all the 4x4 park up on this grassy hill and i want to show of mine. . .the biggest! (followed closely by a dodge on 38.5s, a k10 on 38.5s, and a k10 on 39.5s, and a tahoe on 35's and soon another k5 on 38.5s /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

11. BowtieRed

ttt help!!!
    thanks,
    Henry