Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter heat shield with headers, or vortec starter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Dec 12, 2002.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

350 engine with full length headers, what have you guys done to shield off heat off the starter motor, or what smaller size starter have you swapped on for use with 168 tooth 14" wheel ?

i need options/ideas

thanks for anything

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just do the conversion to a remote solenoid and you'll never have a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend works at a speed shop and swears by the mini-starters, and others swear by the new GM mini starters, but last time I asked on here, enough people had problems with them to make me question their reliability.

Not sure if its because of the engines they tried to use them on, or vehicle use/abuse, but there had been a few failures.

I don't like the remote solenoid idea because of the additional wiring, but thats just me. I've never heard of anyone having that NOT cure starter heat soak problems.

Oldsmobiles used a starter heat shield stock, at least later on, and it still isn't a 100% (or even close) cure.

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I mounted a Frod solenoid on the inner wheelwell using an existing bolt hole, pulled the wiring up to it, used a shorter battery cable, and ain't had a problem since...the whole job takes like 20 minnits...Dang sight cheaper than a mini-starter...just my .02... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, one of the 4wheeler mags did a test on starter heat soak too, and a mini starter was the only thing that fixed the problem. Included battery, cables, etc., header wrap I think, all changed. They did NOT try the remote solenoid.

Again, I don't think there is a question the remote solenoid won't work, I just personally think it looks ugly. It's also Fr0d unless you have a diesel : )

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Installed mine a while ago and couldn't be happier. There is nothing wrong with additional wiring as long as it is done correctly.

[​IMG]

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah and mine is done even neater, you can't see anything, I also mounte the optimas inside.

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

jmiceman44: sweet, do you have any pics of it?

When I did mine, "looks" weren't even a thought. I build for function first. I suppose I could have routed the batt cables in a more clean manner but I just saw no reason to at the time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did however replace all the wiring in the engine compartment and routed it neatly along the firewall.

[​IMG]

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No pics and the truck isn't here.
    But the way I did it, I had the battery in front of the rear wheel well inside the truck, cable going through the floor board, running along the frame and to the starter. The relay is right next to the battery, so the cable is only active when starting, then I ran a guage 6 or 4 I am not sure, to the alternator in a tube to protect it since this one is live all the time.
    I also had another battery on the other side with an isolator.

10. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i first got the remote solenoid and that helped. but then i changed intakes and hadda have the timing advanced a lil so i just broke down and bought a powermaster XS volt starter. cant b happier. this thing has incredible torque. plus you dant hafta use n e shims. it just bolts right up

NITRO

11. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I have to DISAGREE...I have the remote solenoid and "still" get the heat soke!!! I have mine ran the way the picture is showing (correctly) and after about 2 months with a new factory starter it starts the mone (turning over hard) Not all the time but when you drive a while then shut it off go in the store and come out 10 minutes later it's hard to turn over. This is the second starter I'm on they usually last about 8 months before dying. I will buy the mini next time and be done with the problem, You can get them on Ebay for about 110.00 plus the ride. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and Yes I have every thing correct with the motor (as far as timing etc.)

12. Joe T

Joe T Registered Member

Years ago, after going through about 5 Napa &amp; Kragen starters, I had a starter built by a quality electrical shop, (Auto- Air-Marine-Electric in El Cajon, Ca.), spent about $140 and had it for about 9 years when I sold the Blazer it was still running strong. My headers were about an 1/8" away from the starter. No way for any shield to fit. Any good shop should be able to set you up.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what did they do the work to, the motor or solenoid ?

i have the 1/8" gap problem too,., hmm.. will see how it acts when starting hot as the next few days go by,
    just fired her up for first time tonight, all is well so far minus the oil pressure gauge line leak and thermostat housing leak(damn cheap tawain crap) and need of re-timing, running great and is overcoming the 2.73 crap gears WAY better than the junk 305 could !! stil getting 14 bolt FF 3.73 though once i make driveshaft up

thanks

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You need a good starter to begin with, the solenoid doesn't do miracles it just provides full power to the starter.
    I had the same problem before I put the solenoid on and it turned out to be 2 out of the four coils inside, the ones the give you the magnet around the core, were burnt.
    Well I changed them and it ran but when I put the remote solenoid it was stronger and even after driving it for 9 hours straight in the summer, it never gave trouble again for the 4 years I had it.
    I had the big block starter though and it was the biggest starter you could have on a V8.