Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by schmuck, Jan 22, 2004.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

my starter makes the grinding noise like its not ingageing with the flywheel well its done this since i bought the truck 3years ago but about six months ago i replaced the flywheel and starter and it still does it and i had to shim the starter to keep it from sticking any help to sole this problem would be appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. daimok

daimok Registered Member

when you replaced the flywheel did you put the washers back that go between the flywheel and torque converter. I forgot when i did a engine change and that caused the flywheel to flex too much towards the transmission and killed the flywheel teeth and starter in short time. i think the gap should be no more than 1/8 inch

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i think the gap should be no more than 1/8 inch

[/ QUOTE ]
    Correct, no more than 1/8" and no less than 1/16" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i dont remember thanks ill have to check i was swaping trannys at the time so my mind was in a differnt place