Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 13, 2000.

Last night My starter wouldn't turn over, I had to smack it with my mag light to get it to start the engine. As you would figure, I'm going to look at it today. Are there anythings that I should be aware of if I replace it and how difficult of a job would you say this is? Plaese get back to me as soon as possible!
    thanks,

<font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

1. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

very easy...
    i did mine on my lunch break ...
    just remember to remove the heat shield
    from the old one and / put it on the new one...

2. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Changing the starter is not a difficult job. The only tough part is dropping it down if you have headers. Just remove the 2 bolts and lower the starter a little. Then remove the wires on the solenoid. There will be a main terminal with the battery cable and a smaller wire and there will be a real small terminal beside that towards the engine. I was able to leave my starter sit on the header tube while taking off the wires. Just reverse this to replace. I used a GM AC Delco starter on mine and I bought a heat shield from Autozone for the solenoid. I would recommend doing the same if you have headers because of the heat. Good Luck.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Disconnect the negative battery cable before you start!

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

Amen to disconecting the battery(s). I just replaced the starter on my '79 last week and got on hell of shock. As for diffculty it's cake. 2 bolts and 3 wires. I got mine from some cool guys at this starter shop. Not a pepgirls one. Boy could i tell the differance when fired her up. BTW my starter was doing the same thing not starting some times without a Gentile haha hit.

<font color=red>Chris</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>79 K-5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]<font color=blue>EMS RULES</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Thanks for catching the neg. cable Tim. Well this post jinxed me this morning. The used starter I just put in is acting up. It is not engaging the flywheel on the 1st try. I guess I will have to splurge for a new one this weekend[​IMG]. Hopefully the mud dries in my driveway by then[​IMG].

6. Brad

Brad Registered Member

You might need to check the flywheel teeth to make sure they are not chipped. If they are, the starter will not engage with those teeth.

7. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

MURPHY'S LAW???????

<font color=red>Chris</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>79 K-5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]<font color=blue>EMS RULES</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

The flywheel was replaced when the motor was put in but I suppose when the first starter went it could have chipped a tooth or two. But then again this starter was working fine until today. How do I spin the flywheel to check all the teeth?

9. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

As long as you're going to replace the starter, you minghe want to think about upgrading to a remote-mount solenoid(ford). Summit sells a kit to do this or you can put one together yourself from the local parts store. The great thing about the remot solenoid is that you never have to worry about disconnecting the battery again. The only wire that will be going to the starter is cold untill you turn the key.
    Also, you should really spend a bit more money on either a genuine GM starter of an aftermarket mini-starter. The Auto-Zone specials just don't last very long. But if you're on a budget and need a cheap starter, make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty, you'll need it!

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

One more thing. It's always a good idea to upgrade to 0 or 1 gauge battery cables. They don't heat up as fast so they'll carry more current to get that starter turning.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Blazerbob, there should be a nut in the middle of your crank pulley. Get a socket to fit it, and use a breakerbar or ratchet to turn it. Best to have a friend help (1 turning, 1 looking), and if your plugs need to be replaced take them out first and it will be much easier to turn.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

12. Thanks for the info, even though I wasn't able to get it yesterday. It was real easy and I ended up getting a remanufactured starter from Delco for $55, I called around and everyone wanted the same amout so I opted for the Delco.
    thanks,

<font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

13. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I changed the starter yesterday. Advanced auto parts had a sale and I got a reman. Delco for $29.99 with a lifetime warranty. I jumped into the job so quick that I didn't disconnect the battery cable even though I was reminded on this post[​IMG].Notice in the attached pic that the hood is not up therefor cable was never removed. What a suprise when the cable started welding itself to the starter body.[​IMG] Besides that, the rest of the job went smooth. It took a total of 20 minutes to perform. The flywheel teeth were OK but one of the gear teeth on the starter was completely broken off. I had lots of help from my 6 yr old and the mud was finally dried up.

14. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey bob I have two comments on your pic.
    First the good one : Your son looks like a promising future K5'er.
    Second the bad one: What the heck is a furd doing in the pic? Man you coulda cropped the pic before posting.. LOL

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

15. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

My son loves the Blazer and does not like to ride in anything else. He gets mad and doesn't want to go if we take the company Corsica. As for the furd, My wife took the pic and I didn't check it out before I posted it, Sorry. My neighbors own 2 Taurus's so it's no wonder I don't speak to them. Try this pic

16. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

17. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you got your starter in without any problems, but please use some jackstands! I know your tire was still on and you would have room underneath, but it's still scary. Good looking K5 and son.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates