Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stumpjumper, Jan 22, 2004.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

i know most of yall are rock guys but im in east texas and all i do is mud but i have tyred every kind of starter from cheap ones to high dollar ones that are supposed to be sealed , does anyone know a trick or a starter they know is water prove , every time i go out i trash a starter and i need a fix for this , thanks guys

2. Chase

Chase Registered Member

are you sure your not getting your distributer wet

3. stumpjumper

no its not that i have been doing this for years and starters kill me , dist has never gave me trouble , all the starter does is click and throw the gear out but will not turn , take it off and put on another one and it starts fine but not that fun to do out in a muddy slop pit , i picked up a new supposed to be sealed starter today and tore into it to check it out and the moter looks sealed but when i blow into the drian hole it doesnt pressure up so the air is going somewhere and if its going out i know water will get in

4. Chase

Chase Registered Member

all i do is mud here in alabama and i just dont know what to tell you sorry

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I don't know where in East Texas you are,but if you wheel out at Shilo Ridge (Alto Texas) and run in that slop out there, theres no hope for your starter or any electrical component on your truck.The iron content in the mud out there is so high that just leaving a coating of mud and silt on your battery will kill it.Starters,alternators, winches,batteries
    even spark plugs are all short lived out there. I will never go thru the mud pits there ever again!!!
    I'm not going to even get started on the red dust,,, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Have you tried one of the gear reduction starters,IMO
    they hold up better,,

6. stumpjumper

i have been to alto lots of times , last time i looked on thier site they had some pics of me in a pit , im running a gear reduction starter now and it has been the best and crossing deep stuff hasnt seemed to bother it even the alto stuff didnt kill it but when i get stuck and its under by the time i get it out sometimes 20 -30 minutes the starter is gone , i only have 2 problem areas on my truck the rearend gets water in it even with new seals and the starter , trans t case and front axle dont give me any trouble with water , and the starter isnt too bad i guess it just takes some time and getting messy to change it on the trail but the rearend bothers me couse i would hate to mess it up , i used to drive it out to play and then drive it home but now i haul it since i cant keep water out of the rearend , man mud is high bucks lol