Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Jun 23, 2001.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

I have a 76 Blazer and had a problem with the starter grinding , the flywheel was in good shape, so I got a new starter from Advance auto and installed it checked the clearance and it started , but it was still grinding. I then got in touch with Lonnie Tromba @ "Alternators and Starters of the Triangle" 919-787-3157. He informed me that the castings on many of these rebuilt starters are incorrect. He sold me the correct starter for $45 and it works like a dream. He also has some awesome high amp alternators. I hope this info can help others having problems with generic part store starters

If in doubt, gun it.

2. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

I had the exact same problem. I just spent about 2 hours grinding where the mounts were and fixed it up. Nothing but the normal sound now. If you don't fix a problem like this soon, it will tear up the flywheel.