Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spearchucker, Jan 27, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

When installing a starter, how far away from the flywheel is it suppose to be? Any other tips for installation are welcome too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can just bolt it on tight and see how it sounds. If it doesnt sound good, you can start adding shims to see if that fixes it. Seems that cheap starters always sound bad though.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I didn't get a cheap starter and I'd hate to screw this one up. That's why I'm wondering what's the correct way to install it. I'd do that with a rebuilt one but I figured there's a better way that trial and error. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I suppose you could bolt it on and then actuate the selenoid and take a look at the backlash.

Hitting it a few times untill its spaced out right shouldnt really harm it at all. If its a good starter, you might not need shims at all. I havnt needed them since I started getting them from NAPA even though they include the shims. The Checker ones are garbage along with the rest of the hard parts there.

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I got a lifetime warranty starter from O'Reilly and it didn't need any shims. Everything lined up like its was supposed to. Best part of the deal was it only set me back $40!

Kris

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should have gotten a shim kit with the starter. There is a little thin 1/8" rod that comes with the kit that you insert in between the flexplate and shaft that the bendex(I think thats what that gear is called /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) slides on. You should be able to touch both the flex plate teeth and the shaft. If it is not shimmed right than the starter will be overly loud and when it is shimmed correctly you will barely be able to hear it if your truck fires up fast.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

As a general rule you could use a paper clip to get a reference on the distance and start shiming from there .
    It's crude but it will get you close enough so you don't hurt any good pieces until you get it right .
    Good luck , Tom