Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter keeps on cranking...no key!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K5Blazed, Mar 16, 2003.

1. K5Blazed

K5Blazed Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI am a newbie to this site and am hoping that someone out there is kind enough to help me out. I've recently purchased an '83 K5 with the 6.2 diesel and my problem is this...I recently replaced the mechanical fuel pump and have been trying to crank over the engine. Last week I tried starting it up, but the starter kept on cranking after we pulled the key out. We ended up having to disconnect the batteries in order to get it to stop since the ground for the battery started to melt! There was also smoke coming from the starter/solenoid area. I thought the solenoid was fried, but we removed the starter and put some jumpers on it to see if it was the solenoid, but it worked fine. Since then, I re-assembled that stuff and tried to crank it over again, but the same thing happened again, minus the burning of the wires, but there was the same smoke coming off the starter area. I'm thinking it is a problem in the steering column. Please help...the engine used to start up the first time and I haven't even driven this thing yet(due to other things).

On a second note, when I used to be able to start the engine(before I replaced the fuel pump), I couldn't get the tranny to shift out of first gear(TH350). I'm thinking it is a vacuum problem, but I don't know.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Are you sure you are not the same guy that had exactly the same problems a couple of months ago?
    If you are not, man what a coincidence.
    He had the same problem with the starter and the tranny not shifting.
    Maybe you bought his truck?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Well the starter problem can be one of 2 things:
    Either the solenoid or the ignition key module.
    There is a module at the base of the steering column that is controled by a rod going down from the key lock.
    If the module is bad and the contacts are getting stuck, that would happen.
    I did it once, removed it and opened it up, cleaned it, sanded the contacts with a fine sand paper, then put some dielectric grease in it and put it back together, it worked flawlessly after that.
    The starter also sometimes gets dirty and the contacts get stuck or the rotor gets filled with copper grit and contact can happen.
    It happened to my oldsmobile a couple of month ago, I took it all appart, cleaned it thouroughly, sanded all the contacts to remove spikes, and reassembled it.
    It hasn't stuck since.
    About the tranny, get the starter fixed and then we'll work on the tranny.
    It's probably the governor, I've had so many the broke the plastic teeth on the governor and the tranny will not upshift.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5Blazed

K5Blazed Registered Member

Thanks a lot. I don't know if this is the same Blazer you mentioned since I just picked this one up in Washington a month and a half ago. I'll try taking a look at the contacts in the steering column. Hopefully it will be as simple as that. Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On a second note, when I used to be able to start the engine(before I replaced the fuel pump), I couldn't get the tranny to shift out of first gear(TH350). I'm thinking it is a vacuum problem, but I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had that problem on last summer.It turned out to be a leaky vacuum line.Replaced it,and haven't got any problems since /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

its funny, we went over this exact problame in my auto class on thursday. iceman covered everything i learned.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its funny, we went over this exact problame in my auto class on thursday. iceman covered everything i learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I had the starter on the 6.2L in my 1982 K5 hang up on me one time like you're describing. I had recently replaced the starter and didn't shim it properly. Added a shim and all was fine. Since it doesn't sound like you touched the starter yet, I probably wouldn't suspect this though.

8. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

I was the guy who had the same stater problem last month although i didn't have any tranny problems. I wound up replacing everything. both batteries, made new cables from 1ga, new relay on the steering column, swaped out warrantied starter /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.
    I am positive that the cause of my problem was the POS starter i got from Parks/Federated Auto Parts. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif