Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter keeps turnig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d coenen, Nov 8, 2005.

1. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

i bought a 85 chevy pickup from a kid that said th tranny was bad so i towed it hiom put atranny in it and went to turn it over and it will kind of try to start but the starter keeps turning till you unhook the battery . hooked battery back up and it started fine shut it off and tried it again and the starter kept turning again untill i unhooked the battery> anyone have any ideas? thanks.

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

3. d coenen

thats me no one posted so i re worded it. thanks for the reply

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Make sure you've got the wire on the right terminal on the solenoid.

5. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

My buddy had the same problem on his 454 with headers, I think the headers got it hot and it kept spinning. We unhooked the battery, took a hammer and beat on it a while. Hooked up the battery and it never did it again. Not to say that is what fixed it, but thats all we could do at the time. He had a brand new starter and fly wheel and we kinda freaked out when we heard it kept spinning, the only thing running through my head was the sound it was gonna make if it engaged into the flywheel :yikes:

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Just look at your truck if you're not sure which one to hook to.

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I have a 454 with headers and had a similar problem. Mine would get the solenoid so hot that it melted the bakelite plastic cap on (you know, the "heat resistant" kind). Thank god for LIFETIME WARRANTY! I dropped $30 at Summit for a DEI aluminized heat shield blanket, completely thinking it would not work. Haven't had a single bit of trouble since. $30 well invested.

8. d coenen

the starter is engageing to the fly wheel like it starting the truck and is runing at the same time if you can understand what iam saying but it is hard to describe. but i turn the switch off and it keeps tring to start. i dont think it is a heat pr oblem cause it neveer did it before i changed the tranny. and i put the small wire to the post closest to the engine on the starter.

9. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I understand. I'll explain a little about the starter. You have the big can (motor) and the small can (solenoid). When a solenoid engages (by electricity between the small post, and ground) it slides out. Like an electric dead bolt. In your starter that does two things when it slides out, it pushes the gear forward, and trips a switch to make the motor spin. So if it sticks in the out position, it will keep the motor engaged and turning. It is supposed to auto-retract via spring power, but if it is crudded up and sticking, the spring may not overpower the muck. Or just the switch (which is really just a couple metal contacts) is remaining engaged. Either way, it could probably just use a good internal cleaning. Or, Chevy starters are cheap ($30 for my BBC), just get a new one, or install one of your "spares".

10. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

that just happened to me. over the weekend i crawled under the blazer to see what the heck was going on. My bendix in the starter was not releasing. The fix was simple. got a new starter and now it is fine.

11. d coenen

i understand now but just for sitting a couple of months it would do this? ill test my other ones and if ones good ill put it in , in the morning. i talked to a guy earlier tonight and he said it could be low volts so i checked all the wires to the starter and there all fine .but ill try a different starter in the moorming thanks for explaining everything.

12. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i would have to say yes. when i got my motor it sat for a while maybe started to move for parking reasons. Since then the motor was removed from that truck and put in my blazer. drove it fine for about a week or two then my problems started to happen. i thought i had a bad converter or even a bad flex plate. Like i said earlier i saw what was happening then put the new starter in and bingo no issues as of YET..

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Shims...

Some starters will stick and stay engaged if the gear on the starter drive is too close the the flywheel too--adding a shim or two might cure the problem..it could be the spring behind the solenoid is weak or broken (or missing!) too,or the solenoind is loose(the 2 bolts that hold it on like to loosen on GM starters,and fall out)...also the purple wire that goes on the solenoids small terminal can touch the positive battery cable thats bolted only 1/2" away,that will make it crank forever too...good luck!. :crazy: