Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter makes a whine noise... need shims?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, i installed a starter a few months ago before my timing chain issue. after i start it and let go if the key i can hear a whine noise, according to the paper that came with it i just need to use shims. i have already tried going up to .06 out of a pack of three with .02 and .04. i tried all three individually and it still does it, i'm not sure if its really any better. should i use more than one or return for a better starter, i read in an earlier post this could be the problem.

thanks,
    matt

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

have you tried only shimming one sode? I had to put 3 shims under the outside corner bolt of my starter / 454 to get it not to grind...

try only shimming one side of it... you may have to shimm the inside corner if it is sticking...

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Did the original starter that you replaced have shims? If not, they usually dont need any shims when you replace it. Your current starter probably has a lifetime warnty. I would try to take it back and get a new one. If you have the same problem then start to mess with the shims. Also, pull the flywheel cover off and inspect your flywheel for any imperfections that may cause problems.

Sparky

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I just went thru a whole starter nightmare, shims, no shims, checking flexplate, etc. I have heard now from 2 excellent mechanics that the only starters that don't give GM trucks a lot of hassle are AC Delco starters. I just had a new (not remanufactured) one put in.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i went through 2 acdelco's and one "schucks" brand till i got the shims right... and no, if you didnt have shims originally yopuo dont nee dthem, is incorrect.... i didnt have shims originally, but all the starters are a little different, when you multiply the hair that the castings are different by the length the starter goes out to th eflywheel it can be off quite a bit...

YOU MAY NEED SHIMS...

Try shimming one side... or the other side... you should only be able to slide a 1/8th rod between the flywheel teeth and the rod the starter kicks out the gear onto... to much space? shim the outer side... not enough space shim it all, still not enough shim the inner side...