Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter motor change

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LaxRox5, Nov 21, 2002.

1. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

Yeah so over this thanksgiving break im gonna go to my neighbors shop and changing my starter motor cause it needs it real bad (grinds everytime i start it up) and i was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on how long it might take or anything else that would be handy... thanks tom

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well if it all goes good you could have it in and out in I'd 10min, But then it sounds like you haven't done this before so it could take maybe 30min you'll need a 3/8 or a 5/16 and a 5/8 or 9/16 for the wires on the solenoid and a 9/16 for the two bolts holding the starter up. it's real easy to change out a starter. After you do it and it still grinds you mite have to shim the starter down some. A good repair manual like Haynes will help out a lot.

Eric

3. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

So it does not sound to bad at all to change. Thanks. only other question would be what do i use as shims, i know this soudns stupid its just ive never changed it before.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you can buy a shim kit from any auto parts store for like $5.00, it comes with 3 or 4 different thickness of shims.

5. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

before any of the orange people get to you, id fill out yer profile, they are mean about it, just a fair warning.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Us orange guys only want the info to be able to help you better.
    For example, if someone says my truck stumbles when you gas it off idle, I could say it's the timing, but if it's an 87 and up the computer should compensate for that, so I would think of something else.
    And if he says can someone help me? if he is in Sacramento, and close to me, I would know and I would be willing to go over there or invite him over, and work on it.
    Other than that, I don't think we need to know his SS# or address or even his bank account info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif?