Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter motor problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by fredo, May 6, 2006.

1. fredo

fredo Registered Member

Does anyone know why my starter cranks sometime slwly and normaly at other times. Thank you.

Fred

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

are you sure that its not that your ignition timing is too far advanced ?

have you ever checked it ? or done any work to it to where the dsitributor might have been removed or moved ?

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Randy , Do not get all upset I am just trying to help . I don't believe this guy has a dist. in his diesel engine.

FREDO , can you help us put and tell us what motor you have and what it is in ???
    Does it happen mostly when the engine is hot and shut off for a few minutes to let it heat soak and than slow to turn ?

Tom

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  4. fredo

fredo Registered Member

Tom, no work was done on dist. I'm not quite sure what type of motor it is exactly, I could take a pic of it and post it. It is in a 1987 K5 with a 6.2. It does not seam to be related to wether the engine or the starter is warm or cold. As a matter of fact at this stage it seems to crank slow all the time...
    It use to do this when it was warm and I realised at the time that the connection between the 2 + of batteries was bad. Fixed it at the time. Now the connection is good. anything else to check?

5. fredo

fredo Registered Member

here is a pic of it

Starter.jpg

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

well before youfixed it, it was slow when the engine was warm. now the starter has gone bad and the only thing that will make it better is to change the starter, it will stop working pretty soon too so change it now before you get stranded.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Might want to make sure your batteries are good and that all the connections are good. Also if you are going to get a new starter get the gear reduction one. Cranks faster :D

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you don't have a distributor. another thing which can make a difference is the weather - if it's cold out, and your battery is old, it may not be putting out optimum power. i've seen it happen where a battery won't hardly turn the starter in the winter, and a couple months later it has no problem starting the engine when the weather is not as cold.

9. fredo

fredo Registered Member

thanks everyone, took the starter out. it's dead. getting a 28mt...