Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sabot, Mar 13, 2000.

1. Sabot

Sabot Newbie

83 6.2 Deisel. The Starter Gear is bouncing off the flexplate and makes a terrible noise. ting ting ting ahhh. Not to mention it ain't to good for the flexplate or starter gear. I've tried putting a spring on it to push it back but they keep sliding off.

Anyone got a Fix for this problem

Thanks

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The guy I bought MY 83 6.2 used the shims mentioned above. They must work, because I've never had a problem.

4. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

Worn-Out Solenoid. Replace make sure you put in the new spring that comes with it. The solenoid spring keeps the starter gear in when not in use

Blazers Rule especially Diesels

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

When I first bought my K5, it had a starter problem. I went to Pep Girls and bought another one. I had the very same problem. It would start good for a few times, then the starter gear wouldnt mesh up right with the flex plate and it would rise above it making a terrible sound. I took the starter back and got it exchanged. Repeated this process a few times til my stepfather who is a mechanic informed me of the problem. Pep Girls starters are junk! Get yourself an OEM from AC Delco. I installed that one and havent had a problem since. I even bought a second one for when I'm way out in the boonies and the first one dies on me. Point of the story is, maybe you changed yours and bought one from Pep Girls, or AutoZone......They suck with starters in my opinion. Hope this helps you
    p.s. I did try shims, made sure everything was matched up right and the gap was correct.....The cheapie starter was the problem.

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Waxer told it all. Amen

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I had a similar problem on an older rig. 4 starters and 2 flexplates later I figured it out. I had shimmed like crazy, used feeler guages, even ground off some of the housing to make the starter fit closer, shimmed the outside bolt to tilt the starter. It would work for 1 to 3 months and then grind. On mine I found the engine number and called gm tech and found that the number went to a 76 chevy pickup motor and got the part number for the proper flexplate and ordered off of that. when I took the other flexplate off I researched it and found it went to a 305 not a 350. They had about 1/8 of an inch difference in how close they sat to the motor. Over time the edges of the starter gear would wear out and ruin the starter, the flexplate or both.