Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I have a noise when I start my truck. The quick background is I swamped my truck in a puddle up to the top of the tires (I'll be posting a story w/ pic about that soon).

It wouldn't start the next time I shut it off about a half hour after I got it pulled out. One of the guys I was with said the starter was just hot and wouldn't start. I let it cool down and it started. It has been running ok since then. I changed the tranny fluid (which I need to do a few more times). And there has been a squeal that I figured was the serpentine belt cause it needed to be replaced anyway.

Now when I start it, it tries to turn over and as soon as it does, there is this horrible clanking until I let off the starter.

Any ideas? I assume it has to be the starter or flywheel. The service manual says check the starter motor armature but of course I need the light duty truck manual to show me how to do that. Thanks for the help!!!

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i had a similer thing happen to me only the water line was 1 inch below my window and the starter got mud inside of it i just took it off and cleaned it and it has worked fine ever since

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Before you take it off, give it a few good whacks with a hammer (not a BFH). Usually that cures starter problems for a while.

90K5

4. Rowdysr

Rowdysr Registered Member

Sounds to me like the drive is sticking - I'd pull it - take it apart and clean it up - I'll bet it's loaded with junk! Hope this helps!

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I agree that the starter arm is holding in the flywheel. I d pull it out to and lube it up.

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Had the same thing happen in my S-10 Blazer. Turns out that it was the flywheel. Problem was that it took out the Statir on the clutch and exploded the torque converter. Needless to say, it doesn't make that noise anymore!

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

When the battery is weak, there's a loud clicking sound as it tries to turn the engine over. Could that be it?

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

No, thanks though. The engine turns over. However, just as the engine fires, there is that horrible clanking/grinding noise.

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Epilogue

Good job guys (rowdy and mudhog and jimmy). I yanked my starter last nite and dumped out a softball-sized mound of sand and dirt outta my starter. The first time I tried it, it still made the sound, but the second time, it started great and still does. Thanks guys!!!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

10. mudhog

Re: Epilogue

hey no prob panther glad to help. what about the pics and story you promised lol

11. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

They're coming. I should get the pics today or tomorrow. They should be pretty good. Maybe it's just my opinion. I was kinda excited about getting stuck for the first time. Especially since I got out [​IMG] and everything is almost back to normal.

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

12. mudhog

just waight you will get stuck again lol