Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter prob

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Aug 16, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

alright this has been driving me nuts. my starter when i first start my truck sounds like its grinding or bingind up. and if you stop and bump it a couple of times it will start over freely. WTF!? i cant figure it out, i tried shimming it and used the smallest one ive got but it made it worse:confused: i need help please. this is getting to be real real old.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like your starter is bad. I had 1 do that and the nose cone was busted off..It fell apart when I took the starter out. New starter with no shims has worked great for 3 years now.

3. broncoman6524

i just pulled it off about 3 days ago bc my truck stalled and wouldnt crank over. i thought i had stripped hte starter gear. but it was a bad ground.:doah: When i pulled it of everything *looked* ok, think i should bring it into auto and test the starter?

4. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

iv had this same problem, auto zone said i was insane:rolleyes: there all morons there anyway i need to go to another one sense i have a lifetime warranty

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya I would test it. How did the teeth look on the flywheel?

6. broncoman6524

fine i replace that about 2 months ago bc it was missing teeth, that why im worried about this bc i hope to NEVER have to do that again in my life.

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sounds just like the problem Im having. its caused from the starter being too far away from the flywheel. there are two ways to go about fixing it. either file down the top of the starter where it bolts to the block or just put shims on the outside bolt to tilt the starter towards the flywheel. you can measure the distance with a 1/8 allen wrench. use the flat sides of it and put it between the shaft that the bendix gear slides on and the flywheel and move the starter closer till the allen wrench fits between the two without any play.

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

and x2 on the flywheel. after installing that sm465 I hope I never have to pull it out to put in a flywheel or clutch but I know its gonna happen some day.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I had similar (and worse) problems with 3 different starters until I went with a new AC Delco. Been 2 years and never another problem.

10. 89Burben

89Burben Registered Member

i just went through the same thing for the past few months and i ended up just getting a rebuilt acdelco from the local chevy dealer.......90 bucks....advance auto was like 150 for the same starter.....

11. broncoman6524

soo i brought it into auto today, i pulled it off and my gear teeth were rounded off...:eek1: so i had discount deliever me a new one $50:D only i had to leave it at school bc i couldnt drive it home, i hope i can sleep tonight. all i have to say is that if anything is missing tommorow once i find out where it is and who took it...i aint gonna let it slide