Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter problem, worn out drive ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 14, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lets say that there was a starter that was spinning fine(free spins) but was not engaging to the flywheel teeth at all, and that the flywheel teeth are in good shape, wouldnt you think it was a problem with the bendix not sending the drive gear out to meet the flywheel teeth ?

thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: starter problem, worn out bendix ?

starter drive, had to replace a few in the last year /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

yes.
    I just went through this.
    My buddies Dodge with a cummins was having starter issues.
    I go look at it, pull it out and tell him to take it back to the parts house, he has the life time warranty.
    They test it and say it's fine and his son puts it back in.
    2 days later I am back in a muddy driveway pulling the starter and tellin him to get it replaced.
    So he takes it back to em and calls me saying they tested it and it is great.
    I told him to hang tight and I drove over and had em test it.
    The bendix engaged and I grabbed the drive gear and looked at the guy with the starter making a killer racket and asked if we could get the damn thing replaced.
    The starter worked great after that.. to bad the slush box took a crap.
    I almost feel bad about pissin and moanin about that $120 clutch for the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

GM starters don't use a Bendix to engage the starter gear. The solenoid provides that function, in addition to acting as a relay for the power. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif A sticking solenoid is usually the cause of no (or poor) engagement on a GM starter.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have a bad habit of calling the starter drive gear and spring the bendix, haha

otherwise normally i will call parts by their technical name, but then it confuses ppl alot of the time. i think i will go ahead on put the new starter driv eon the starter since it is only 13 bucks for a new one, this is on my brothers 92 s-10 4.3L,

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. HarryH3

My '91 S-10 started doing the same thing a couple of years ago. The colder it was outside, the less likely the starter was to engage the flywheel on the first attempt or two. Upon disassembly I found that the inside of the solenoid assembly had a lot of fine scratches on it. I sanded them out, cleaned it up and reinstalled it, but a couple of weeks later it was sticking again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Since that starter had the pressed-on style of solenoid, instead of the old 2-bolt style, all the parts houses wanted $50 for JUST the solenoid! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They were only $12 or so for the earlier style. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I ended up forking over around $85 for a NAPA premium rebuilt starter and it's been working great ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

pressed on solenoid ? humm thats crazy

lets hope that this one is not like that, eek

8. HarryH3

Yep! It sucks! GM probably saves 3 cents per starter by not using the 2 screws. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif