Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d coenen, Nov 8, 2005.

1. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

when i turn the swich over it tries to start so i turn the switch off and the starter keeps going (turning)till i can run around and un hook the battery . so itry it again and it starts right up, so i shut it off and try it again and it tries to start but starter does the same thing as first time. ay suggestions? thanks

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Your solenoid is sticking (in the out position). You could try to take it off, take it apart, and clean it up good. It may just be packed with that awesome grease/oil/mud/grime combo we all love. It happened to me once. Otherwise, it's new starter time. :eek1:

3. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

thanks i have some other starters laying around how do you bench test a starter?

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

You just hook positive 12v to the big terminal, and ground the case. Then run positive 12v to the little terminal (the one marked "S" I think, if you have two little ones). The big terminal will need bigger wire, that's were it gets its power. The little one does two things, kicks out the gear to meet the flywheel, and makes the connection for the starter to turn. That is the solenoid, and is what is sticking. Be careful though, starters make lots of torque and will want to jump (like turning on your angle grinder, but way worse). Strap it down if you can.