Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Nov 13, 2006.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

hey guys, I have a serious problem with, I believe my starter, or possibly the flexplate, not sure which? I swapped in a 454, and just now finally got around to bolting everything up, and trying to start it. I just a bought a starter from napa, bolted it on, and the stupid plastic casing on the solenoid broke when I was tightening down the wires. so I took it back, and they gave me another one. got it bolted on, and when I tried to start it....it would turn the motor over a couple times, then make this HORRIBLE loud grinding sound! so I looked under there to check it out...the starter gear was still out, like it was caught on the flexplate. so I pushed on it a little, and it popped back in where it was supposed to be. so I went and got some shims for it...and tried all the way up to a full .100", but it just seemed to get progressively worse the more I shimmed it. with the shimes, it wouldn't even turn the motor at all anymore, it just grinded instantly, the second i turned the key. also, somewhere in the process, the whole starter casing somehow twisted itself, probably about an inch. I've never seen that before, and don't know how that happened, but anyway....does anyone have any idea what could be causing all this, or how I fix it? I don't even know where or what to start checking. I know the 350 and the 454 use different flexplates, right? but this is the one that was on the 454 when I got it, so...I assume it's the right one. and I'm pretty sure that there are two different types...168 tooth, and a 153 tooth, i believe? but I've never had anyone at a parts store ask me which one I needed, and they've always been right in the past. and I'm pretty sure I've already counted th teeth on both before, while the motor was still out, to make sure they were the same. anyway, I would really love to get this thing running, so any help anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

168 vs 153 teeth...

The starters for the 168 tooth flexplate have a staggered mounting bolt pattern--the 153 tooth version has both bolts in line across from each other..

Sounds like your starter was too far away from the flex plate,if shimming it only made it sound worse and eventually not engage the flex plate at all!..you may need to shim only the outer bolt ,that tips the drive gear closer to the flex plate..some starters I've had were so far off I had to file the "nose" down where it meets the block by 1/8",and then shim it to fit right!..

You can use a 1/8" allen wrench to check the clearence of the gears--just put it between the armature shaft where the drive unit rides on the starter ,and the outside of the flexplate teeth--it should fit snugly if the clearance is correct--if not,add or remove shims,or file the nose down--or try another starter if your leery of filing it..some noses get swapped on during a rebuild that LOOK like a chevy nose,but in reality are Buick or Caddy,or Pontiac ones--very close,but NO cigar!....:crazy:

3. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

hey, thanks for the help. I'm gonna try to take the starter back, and get a new one. but before I do, I need to know...is there any way that the flexplate could be wrong? like is it possible for it to be a flexplate for a 350 or something? I know they're different, but I don't know if one will actually bolt up to the other or what? assuming the flexplate is the right one...then the problem would have to be with the starter. I just wanna know before I go in there, whether or not I have a legitimate argument...so I don't sound like a dumbass if they try to give me any trouble about taking it back.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

some difference,not starter related though..

A 454 flex plate is externally balanced (has weights welded to it--at least on pre-86 454's)..but the flex plates on all Chevy motors have the same "pitch" on the flex plate or flywheel ring gears (again,older motors before '86--I dont know much about newer motors)..so the only thing you'll be concerned with is if it has 153 teeth,or 168 teeth..I'd guess it'd be the 168 tooth one,its rare to see the 153 tooth ones much after 1980..:crazy: