Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Aug 27, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Lately I have been having starter problems. Yes, I run Headers and have them wrapped too. But today I was driving home about a 10 minute drive and pulled into the gas station so they can take all my money for gas. Then after the fill I tried to start the truck and it didn't even crank. The starter didn't make any sound. Radio worked, all the lights worked and everything. Batter meter looked fine and all. Just the starter didn't turn. I sat there for 30 minuted tweaking and stuff. Then I bought cold water and poured it on the starter. Waited another 5 minutes and then turned the ingnition and stepped on the gas (cause I was pissed) and it fired right up. This happens frequently now from short trips. Could this be that my solenoid is getting really hot from the headers that I need the remote kit? I ordered one yesterday from Summit, so I'm getting it regardless, but not sure if my Starter is Junk or not. It is less than 1 year old and bought it from Advanced Auto. Thanks.
    Boss

The Boss now allows you to visit his site
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

How big are your cables and what condition, are they tight, with no corrosion? How big is your battery (cranking amps), and how old. It does sound like your starter though. Like the soledoid is sticking or not engaging. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Welcome to "<font color=red>hot starts</font color=red> thanks to Chevy....one of those things either sheild the starter and solenod or remote it like you're doing.....mine used to do it then I shielded the starter and opened some holes in the front of the truck to let a little more fresh air through, have'nt had a problem for over a year now.

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

4. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

Mine was doing the exact same thing, I knew right off it was the starter, that sob was hot as hell to the touch and it had been doing it more frequently all summer, I broke down and bought a 38$ lifetime starter from Autozone and it solved my problem, I don't have headers though. I agree with White Knight you might want to shield it.

When the mud gets deep and the hills get steep we'll find out who bought the parts that were cheap.

5. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

smack the #^@%!*& thing with a hammer, always fixed my hot starts, loosens the solenoid, gets you a nice feeling of revenge at the same time.

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The remote solenoid is a good start, but you need to make sure that you use a high quality starter too, that auto-zone specials just don't cut it. I finally ended up ordering a high-torque mini starter from Summit and have had no problems since.

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

8. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Wow, you made an Advance starter last a year?!

"who dares wins"

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

This is how I did it,
    Dual Optimas,Hellroaring Iso/Comb., remote siliniod, 2gage wire for both batts & silinoids black and red, all new terminals and 8gage jumper on the Chevy silinoid!
    AIN'T NEVER had it again, EVER!
    My Hedmens are VERY close to the start too!
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com