Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jerseyk5, Feb 2, 2003.

1. jerseyk5

jerseyk5 Registered Member

Went out the other day and my starter was dead, no problem. This one has lasted 10 years. I put my new/rebuilt starter in today and when I go to turn the key, it doesn't shut off till I disconnect the battery. Ever happen to you? There is only three wires, pretty sure I didn't mess that up. Could this be something besides my starter or do you think its my great luck and got a bad rebuild. No big deal to take it back to the store, I just don't want to look like an idiot if Im doing something wrong!! Thanks in advance.

2. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

sounds like you may have confused some wires....check the wire that energizes the solenoid (switched ign. wire). If this wire is always hot, then the solenoid is always engaged, and the engaged solenoid not only shoves the starting gear forward, it also gives power to the motor itself. So just check your wires.....doesn't seem like you could get a bad rebuild that is that far from being right.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

-- I can get us out of this, but its gunna take a whole lot of flooring - homer simpson --

LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

You have a ground in teh system. My friend did this to his truck after removing his valve covers... He squeezed one underneatht the valve cover. everytime we tried to start it it would keep turning over until we unhooked the battery. I think the wire he crushed was from the alternator but I would start looking around your starter, possibly deteriorated insulation.

5. jerseyk5

Ok, stupid me!! I put the wire on the s side of the solenoid instead of the r side. Now, Im back to square one.
    Truck don't start. I know the starter is good because it turned over when I had it on the wrong post. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Battery is good, wire from the battery to the starter is good, replaced the ignition swith, checked the neutral safety switch and that looked and seemed to operate ok. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifAH!!!! Get composure!! Sorry! There are two larger guage wires that attch to the solenoid. Obviously the one goes directly to the battery. Where does the other one go? Is there some kind of fuseable link that Im missing here? Could this be a coil and if so how would I check it????? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifAny info would be great, thanks!!

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check the wires that run from the solenoid to the ignition switch, the fusible link is along that wire, also could of worn the insulation off the wire somewhere along that wire and is grounding out.

7. jerseyk5

OK!!! Uncle! Let me get the rope so I can hang myself! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifGet this, I installed the new starter correctly the first time. The NEW starter has a hung up solenoid, right out the box!!! I figured when I turned the key off and the starter didn't stop turning I must of miswired something. Wrong!! I'm not an idot!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifIt was the starter. Took the new one back to the store, along with the old one to get another new one. All they had was one upgraded model for 10.00 dollars more. Great I'll take it!!! Put the core in the new/new starter box for turn in and was just about to leave when I noticed the new/new upgraded starter had a crack in it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Getting starter #4 tommorow. Just wanted to say thanks for to yall for the assistance and maybe you learned something from me!!!

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Wow 3 bad starters ? Where are you shopping at? Pep Boys?

9. jerseyk5

No!!! Can't stand that place. Actually its two bad from the store, one from the truck. Come to think of it, the last starter I put in back in 1993 was from pep boys and other than them giving me the wrong one the first time around (imagine that) everything was fine!! I've been dealing with advanced auto parts. They actually been quite helpfull. The manager ordered my new one for tommorow and took the core ahead of time because he was afraid if he gave it back to me it would end up going through his store window after he closed tonight. What can you do but laugh!!

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Well I'm glad you got things figgured out anyhow.
    Jees... the auto parts you get these days are sure junk.
    My daughter's alt went out the other night and her car was dead. had to pick one up at Checker. They were the only place open. They pulled a rebuilt one off the shelf that made more noise than the bad one, and a bearing was installed crooked.
    I pointed this out to the sales person and she went back and got me a lifetime alt and gave it to me for the same price. as the cheapo unit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    But I have some horror stories about Pep Boys /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

You think you have horror stories about Poop Girls? Hell, I used to be a wrench for one. That lasted all of about 3 months. I had to get out of that place. You don't even wanna know the crap the Svc. Managers wanted us to pull on people's rides... lol /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif