Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HD, Nov 13, 2003.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Okay I’m on starter number 8 and flywheel number 3, and this problem is killing me. The last time I replaced my flywheel (this last weekend) I took my Blazer to a mechanic to have the starter installed. He got it installed and it started fine for about 6 starts. After that I started to get the same old girding noises again. I looked at my flywheel and the teeth are all ready worn and that starter is gone. So I decided to go out and buy a fancy high torch starter to try it again, but really I’m out of ideas of what to do. Please, any help or ideas would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Crawl under the truck and take off the starter, then look at the ear the starter bolts to, I have seen many crack and allow the starter to flex while starting leading to ground teeth. Possible fixes are

1. new block
    2. get block welded ( I had this done to one and it was worthless)
    3. block of 2x4 between oil pan and starter
    4. 3 1/2 inch washers on outside starter bolt (not a good fix but will get you home.

3. Ignato

Ignato Registered Member

MAYBE you need some shims in between the startor motor and the block. Maybe it's too close to the flywheel......?

4. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

When I installed the first starter I got it shimmed right. But after the first couple of starters it would start grinding. I wonder if I installed the flywheel backwards. Can you do that, and what is the proper why? Welds to the engine or away?

5. 99firehawk

back wards /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i do belive you would have a hella of time Bolting up the t/c.

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You didn't mention which starters you are installing? Are these pep boys specials?

I went through the same madness years ago when I first bought my K5. I bought starter after starter, only to have them do the same damn thing yours are doing. I even replaced my flexplate to no avail.

What the final fix for me was, is this...

A true AC Delco starter. Plus the support arm that bolts to the side of the engine block and on the back of the starter.

It has now been going on 4 years w/o any starting problems at all.

I hope this helps...

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    That rear support is a must for these heavy starters!
    I'm going on 3 years on my generic NAPA replacement starter.I put in the rear starter brace at that time.
    Previously I went through one starter,1 broken and one bent stater bolt.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I had this same problem last yr. I went thru 7 starters and 4 flexplates. Tried different shim combinations and obviously not having any luck.

[ QUOTE ]
    Crawl under the truck and take off the starter, then look at the ear the starter bolts to, I have seen many crack and allow the starter to flex while starting leading to ground teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was exactly my problem. I finally noticed when I was bolting on my last starter that the outside bolt mount on the block was cracked. Cracked so bad that when i went to grab it just to see how bad, it fell off in my hand /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif What I have done for a temporary fix until i can get a new block (I don't want to have it welded) is i made a support end bracket for the other end of the starter to bolt to the block (like what is used on diesels) i'm still running around with that same cracked block in my burb and that same last starter and flexplate. So it seems that it is doing its job to keep the starter from flexing while trying to start.

9. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

The starter that I have now is the hi-torque starter from Autozone. This starter is a lot lighter than the stock starters. I got the rear support but it was too long.
    Tonight or this weekend I will take everything off and look for any cracks. This sounds like it may be the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's not cracked, believe the starter teeth engagement should be checked with a certain size wire.

It's in the shop manual, and I know it is pretty close to a common paper clip size, but I can't recall if it's the "big" or "little" paper clip diameter.

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Its the bigger paper clip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Waxer or somebody, tell me about this support arm. I don't remember one on either my 90 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif or my 74 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif ... both of which have shimmed AC Delco starters now, cuz I got tired of swapping the parts store crap /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Is it a dealer part, can I get it aftermarket (always an issue when you hafta buy three...) ?

-- A

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

In the haynes manual they have a picture of it. It's a stock part. No parts store sells them. You can either try and get lucky and find one on a chevy truck in the junkyard, or pay about 10 bucks for one at the dealer.

They are a must and prevent the starter from torquing over and elongating the holes and causing alignment problems.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you and thatk30guy should talk...i think was having the same problems lol... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

sorry to hear bout ur problems though wish i could think of something... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Okay I checked for a crack in the block and there is not a crack. I installed that new low weight hi-torque starter and that did the trick. I don't know why that worked, but it did! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool, keep up posted on it tho. Cause I had a motor at one time that even after I changed to that starter, symtom reappeared about 2 months down the road.

17. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Well the last starter started having problems again. Now the flywheel is dead again and so is the starter. I replaced the flywheel (again) and took the starter back to Autozone and got my money back. I took my K5 to a local shop to have them install the starter. They got a starter from NAPA and installed it with no shims and it worked great. The dude told me that the starters from Autozone have a bad mold for the starter nose. So, for now eveything is cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Cool, good to hear you got her fixed.

19. 99firehawk

You sure tear up a lot of starters, Have you checked your timing lately, too much inital advance will cuase pre ignition and thats hell on a starter.

20. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

My timing is off, but while I have been trying to get the starter installed correct I have had the HEI unplugged. Good call on the timing thing!