Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter problems HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by colorado_emt, Apr 6, 2000.

1. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

Ok yesterday i stoped at 7-11 to get a drink and my truck wouldm't start. I mean the starter wasn't making any noise, so i crawled under her and checked out the starter, no loose of broken wires. I was told by an unreliable source to get a new starter. I would \like to get the opion of some REAL chevy experts. BTW it is a '79 with a 350/350. Please help becuase i now have to drive a tin can until the blue meany gets fixed.
    Thanx
    Chris

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Chevy starters have the solenoid attached to the top. These are prone to overheating from close proximity to the exhaust. Having said this, I've never had problems on any of my trucks, but have had on my '78 Olds. When I had a similar problem, one time it was the ignition switch, the other it was the starter. You can jump start it if the ignition switch is bad by connecting the small and large terminals on the starter. Make sure you're in park because this will bypass the neutral safety switch as well. When my starter was going out and didn't like to start after being hot. It sometimes helped to thump on it with the handle end of a screwdriver or something similar. Evidently, due to wear and heat, the windings, bushings, or something else can get slightly out of whack, and a good whach can get it back close enough. If you do have to replace the starter, I, as well as most others on this board, would recommend a genuine GM starter. They can be so much more reliable it's almost scary. There is also the option of putting a remote solenoid on a starter. I'll let someone else detail that because I haven't done it.
    BTW, I would start by taking off both battery terminals at the battery and making sure they are clean. Then check the rest of your connections and also making sure you're in park or nuetral. Try both, the neutral safety switch may be going out. Oh yeah, there is also a fusible link in the starter circuit. It should be close the the starter and looks like a splice with thicker wire. It's actually thinner wire with more insulation. I had one go out while blasting snow drifts. EVERYTHING electrical shut down, so you will know if it's that.

Good Luck
    the Goose

3. colorado_emt

Thanks i messed around with the gear selector and check my battries. i'm preety sure that its not the bats. I just had my tranny rebuilt, could they have not put some thing back correctly?? Also if i do need a new starter how much do they cost. I'll try hit around a bit maeby it just needs a good old fashioned beatin'.
    Thanx
    Chris

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I can't remember how much I paid for my starter and can't find the receipt. If you call around (not just the dealerships) they can price some GM starters. Some places carry them, some don't. Also, most auto parts stores will test your starter if you take it in. Some of the guys don't know what they are doing tho'. The starter I had trouble with supposedly tested OK. When it smoked so much I thought it was on fire, they finally realized it wasn't any good. (They were trying not to honor their warranty)

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Pull your starter off, and take it to a local starter / alternator shop, and have it tested and rebuilt if necessary. No starter will ever be as good as the one that came on your truck. It will not require shims to get it aligned right.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Sounds Real Dumb, but did you check the fusible link?

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If it is the HOT start problem then after your rig cools down abit the starter should crank! Does it still crank after cooling down?
    The 'Hot' start problem can be cure in severl ways.
    Shields, thermo tape on the batt cable, remote solinoid.
    I installed the remote solinoid and it has never had a hot start issue sence.
    All you do is get a F@&d starter solinoid and mont it in series with your +batt cable. You will need a jumperwire installed on the GM solinoid going from the large terminal (+Batt) to the S terminal that the starter switch hooked to_Oh ya and the starter switch wire now goes to the F@&d terminal.
    Hope this helps

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

8. colorado_emt

Thanks for the replies. It has sat overnight and still no luck. I know what the fusible link looks like but how do you check it for proper operation. Also does anybody know of a good starter repair shop in the denve3r area.
    Thanks
    Chris

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No, this is not the way to fix it.........BUT if in a jam (stranded at the 7-11), get a hammer or rock or anything and HIT the starter. Oftentimes you hit a very small dead spot........then get it running and replace it. Might not be the problem but try it........can't hurt.......even helps get out the agression you must feel cause your beast won't start! BIG hammer! [​IMG]

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

10. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just incase you determine you need to get a new starter, you don't NEED to get a Genuine GM One. Just don't get a Autozone or someother place like that type starter. You can get one from NAPA. These guys have TOP QUALITY electrical parts. I worked there for a long time, and if it came time to get electric part for my truck, I get it at NAPA. Never have a problem again. Another thing, if you do get another starter, switch the nose cones. That way you won't have to worry about shims. They will always be the same. All you have to do is remove the 2 screws at the back of the starter (connections) and swap them. Its easy, and like I said, you won't have to worry about shims.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

11. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a starter from Autozone with a lifetime warrenty back in the winter and had no problem with it. Not even shims. I have yet to put in a starter with shims. I haven't had a problem yet. The starters from autozone are usually very good. The prices range from $30 on up depending on where you look. I paid around $30 at Autozone with lifetime warrenty.

12. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Don't forget carpart.com
    I got a starter for 58.00 ac delco

13. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

I replaced the starter on my '89 last month. Had a choice between the parts store brand starter w/lifetime warranty for around $40 or an AC Delco starter w/lifetime warranty for $75. I went Delco to be safe. I killed 7 or 8 pepgirls starters inside a six month period on my big block camaro many moons ago until they finally gave me my money back and I put a Delco in. I won't go down that same path again...

Good Luck,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

14. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Sounds like the neutral safety switch to me had it happen on an 80 Blazer at a car wash non the less would not wish that embarassing moment on anyone.

15. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem 2 months ago. Posted under NO START. Made all the checks and replaced the starter. Works great now.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio</font color=green>
    [​IMG]

16. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I read all the replys and saw no mention of the problem I had/have so I'll mention it to see if it helps. When my starter died a few months ago, I got a rebuilt from a local shop which I used before and would recommend to anyone; they do excellent work. Anyway, I couldn't get the bolts off the starter, no matter what I did so I let a neighborhood garage do it. It worked great for a while, but after only a couple of months, it would click like a dead battery every now and then. I would have to jiggle the wires on the starter to get them to make a good connection and the motor to turn over. Since I have it parked for a rebuild, I haven't bothered to fix it but my guess is that the wires were not installed tightly with a clean connection. My wires are tight to check, but obviously there some dirt or something that's keeping it from getting a good connection. To prove this, when it does click, if I just turn the key a few times in a row, it will catch and fire right up. Just a thought.

Good Luck
    Brian
    Still in Search of the TBI King!!

17. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

That hammer thing really does work. When a teenager I used to hang with a guy with a Vette. We used to carry a hammer and whenever it stalled out we'd take turns on hittin that starter.

I had my starter rebuilt last month when it stopped working. There was smoke coming out of it. Now, $86 later, I have a starter that works every time, and a reputable place to go back to if something happens to it. (BTW: It came highly recommended from another place I went to which also did good work for me.)

Ask a couple of better shops (that don't do starters) who they recommend.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

18. colorado_emt

Hey thanks alot guys for the help. went down to a starter shop and got mine rebuilt only took an hour to finish and 60 bucks. Best price i could find except for an autozone jobbie. Works like a charm! This site rules you can get help with anything Chevy realated.
    Thanks agian
    Chris