Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Problems, Please Help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUDDY, May 20, 2001.

1. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Apr 28, 2000
    OK fellas, I can't figure this one out.

I recently got my blazer back from the shop, (broken distributor bolt, don't ask), and when I went to pick it up, it cranked right over, no big deal. So I drove it home and parked it for a few days, because it's not inspected and I need to do some stuff to it, anyways, I went back out to start it about 3 days after I picked it up and nothing. No click, no sputter, no nothing.

So I figure I must have left on the headlights on or something, try to jump it and still nothing.

So, I try to use my fancy-shmacny PW "Hot-Shot Plus" bump over starter relay, still nothing.

I have never had any issues with any of these things before.

So finally I try to short across the starter solenoid and jump it started like that, and it sounds like the drive gear is just spinning and not engaging the flywheel.

I have a Tilton high torque mini-starter. Well, I had recently rebuilt this starter and I just thought instead of messing with it again I'd just get an Autozone special, get my truck running and fix the "good" starter later. So I put the new one on and it does the same damned thing.

This is where you guys come in. I'm wondering if there is something else wrong with the wiring or my hook-up.

350 engine, th350 tranny, I have an optima red-top battery, that's currently dead and in it's place temporarily is the NAPA cheapo special.

I'm wondering if there might be a bad ground or something that I haven't thought of.

What's weird to me though is that the key switch or the relay switch, both aren't working.

I'm just about to pull out my hair, and I'm hoping somebody can help me out.

Thanks, sorry so long,

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.
  2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

May 6, 2001
    It's possible that you have a bad ignition switch, especially since your truck is 29 yrs. old. Had the same problem on my 68 F*** Bronco about 2 years ago. Might also consider converting to remote mounted solenoid. Makes it easier to jumper starter.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!
  3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Feb 21, 2001
    It could be the Park/Nutral saftey switch. It stops you from starting the engine in gear. Try starting it in N. Or hold the lever up while starting. If that doesn't work find the wire and use a test light to see if it really is that switch.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust
  4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Feb 2, 2001
    First off when you jumped the solinoid was the key ON? Does it do anything when you try and start? It I also think it sounds like the ignioton switch, but am still kinda confused about you symptoms. Check to see if there is power at the starter whne you turn the key to crank... also like stated try with the shifter in N for the NS switch. Good luck

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI