Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Drey, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

oh it seems like my whole starter system doesnt ever wanna work right anymore. the majority of the time it works, but now and then it does the clickly thing when i turn the key, but if i turn the key on and off a few times it will start. The starter is a brand new AC Delco, and I am goin to check to make sure my connections are tight tonight. It primarily does this when I dont let the glow plugs run their cycle. I have noticed another silonoid on the driverside fender. Is this one somehow tied into the glow plugs system. Also if this was going out would it cause my starter to be doing this?

And also should I be concerned if my alternator consistantly runs near the red on the high side. It has never got into the red, but it has gradually made its way up to where it has been for the past month. Could this be caused by excessivly discharged batterys?

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

after fiddling with it tonight ive narrowed it down to the starter/ silnoid, im taking it to the shop that fixed it this week. Hopefully they will back up their work i mean shoot It wasnt more then 2-3 weeks ago That I had just had it fixed /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Ill keep you guys updated.

Im still wondering about that alternator though, anyone have any thoughts on that

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That noise is the solenoid, almost definatly.
    After a few bad starters from Delco, Napa, no-name--etc..no parts store seems to sell a decent starter anymore, I've found a place around that actually does the rebuild themselves, and since I've been using those places, I've never had a problem with a starter again.
    I rebuilt one myself no long ago, they are very simple, new brushes, new drive gear, and new solenoid, but for the price that this place I go to charges, like $40, it's not worth my time, the brushes gear and solenoid cost me $20-25. They do alternators too!!

Concerning the alternator thing, that is usally an indicator that one of the batteries you have isn't taking a charge, if it's constantly running on the high side. It could be a bad alternator as well, testing that is fairly easy, and most parts sotres can do it too. Again, though, if you need a new alternator, those parts store ones are very crappy, find a local place that does the rebuild in house and take it there.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im going to assume its the batterys, we ran then in our combine a few years then I took them and put them in my truck. Those older Combines are not at all easy on batterys either. But if it is the alternator I will consider that. Thanks alot.

5. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

If that alternator is running all the time and your batteries are still hooked in the factory mannerit will put a constant high charge to the good battery and burn iit up too.