Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter problems??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Feb 11, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Okay heres the story about a year ago I had the starter and the flex ring gear replaced. The starter went out on me about 4 months ago so I took it to a mechanic to have it replaced. But I noticed when I got back in my truck the litle metal shim was still in the box it came in. The truck started and ran fine. But now it takes me a couple of times to catch the gear in the morning in order for it to start its not grinding or anything like that its just not starting like it should the first time. Is it going out on me again because that shim isnt in there? If it is going out should I let it die on me then take it back and get a new one and install it with that shim? I am not sure if the mechanic used the old shim or not I dont even know if there was an old shim to begin with.

Thanks
    Brian

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I had the same damn problem...

It starts a few times and gets worse till it doesnt work anymore...

Shim the side of the starter away from the block to calk the starter towards the flywheel. You only shim one bolt...

That's what I had to do on my 454... I have to add one more shim... just lazy...

3. JimmyJuneau

I guess ill give that a try

1985 GMC JIMMY

4. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

When you turn the key does it just click?

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

5. JimmyJuneau

yes

1985 GMC JIMMY

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do you have headders? They like to cook the solenoid. Is it harder to start when hot?

The shims are used if the starter gear is too close to the flywheel gear. To check that you have to disconect the thick batt. cable from the starter but not the small one. Than just have someone hold the key in the start position and check the clearance. If it is too close the starter gear will be chewed up.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I just went thru 3 starters in less than a month. Last 2 were within days. Why? No shims, when it needed 2. Didn't click when it needed shims, it sounded a little grindy when starting, then big time grind and no more start. When it just clicked, it was actually my battery. After replacing the starter for the third time with the correct shim, it was a little draggy on starting due to need for timing adjustment. Once it was correctly timed, there was no starting delay.

So, I would say 1) check and correct any shim problem, 2) ensure battery is fully charged, 3) check the timing.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it is very dark.</font color=blue> [​IMG]