Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter problems

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by chevydude, Mar 8, 2003.

1. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

i have a 90 gmc 1 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 and a turbo 400,the starter motor doesnt fully engage the flexplate,the bendix throws it out far enough but the gears do not meshthe starter is too far away.
    i have tried the two starters that my local napa dealer says should be for this truck,one for auto and one for standard trannys
    does anyone know what is going on here? was there more then one flexplate for these trucks,or maybe a different starter from a different year truck?
    i did bolt on a starter from a small block chevy but it does not even engage the ring gear at all
    any suggestionf would be appreciated before i start grinding down the case of a 300 dollar starter
    thanks
    marcus

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am not sure but are there shims on the starter? Might need to shim it a bit. Also, check with other loacl part stores and see if the starters are the same. NAPA may be overlooking something simple that the other stores may pick up and remind them/you of. Did you try looking for your starter on NAPAs website and see if they are the same? Also make sure they aren't giving you one for a gasser, there could be some slight /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif differences

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Just my .02 This should be a gear reduction starter right? You might want to eyeball the flexplate for cracks, I remember see a rash of them in the late '80s on TH400 CUCVs. I can't remember the clearance between the teeth on the starter/plate, but we used to check it with a solid wire. Also you might want to take your old one to a local starter/altenator rebuilder. I hate alot of that overseas-manufactured-crap that the parts houses peddle. A lifetime warranty won't get you squat if it won't start out on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif