Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter protection from Mud/Water??>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Knock on Wood
    I have yet to have a starter go out on me due to water/mud exposure.
    Has anyone come up with a way to prevent this from happening? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are sealed starters available at your local parts store for this purpose.

If you're really a mud junkie, buy a marine starter!!

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Really, hmmmm didn't relize there were sealed and nonsealed starters. Do they lable them that way or waht do you tell the superbrain at the counter, heavy duty?
    As for Marine starter..hmmmm sounds interesting....goggle time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Autozone sells one that they claim is sealed for off road use, check it out.

I personally have never had a problem. If you keep your junk running, you won't need a starter anyway.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ya I hear ya, I like to prepare for everything. All the vulnerable spots in our rigs that get identified in the field I like to try and do someting about ahead of time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How do the newer "gear drive" starters handle mud/water? For the most part they look to be "sealed" where it counts, not sure if thats really the case or not. Anyone that can comment on that? If they are sealed, can't think of a reason why not to go with one of those over a sealed "old style" starter, as the newer ones work better from what I've been told and heard. (plus less problems with heat soak)

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

By way of intro, I dont really know squat about starters, but, a friend of mine said there is a starter called "mean green" or something like that. I think it is one of those gear reduction starters. Are they sealed you think? Im with this guy, I'd rather have my rig prepped before I get into trouble. I really like deep water and mud too.

8. dyeager535

I've heard of mean green, but no experience with them. At the time, perhaps they were one of the first gear redcution starter makers?

In any case, gear reduction starters have come way down in price, and I have a feeling you can get a "standard" one for less than $100.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How do the newer "gear drive" starters handle mud/water? For the most part they look to be "sealed" where it counts, not sure if thats really the case or not. Anyone that can comment on that? If they are sealed, can't think of a reason why not to go with one of those over a sealed "old style" starter, as the newer ones work better from what I've been told and heard. (plus less problems with heat soak)

[/ QUOTE ]

A starter from a 2002 Chevy Silverado 3500 with an 8.1 is TINY and supposedly will work. I've had it next to the standard starters for our trucks and I believe that it will fit and work. I have not actually bolted one to my truck and used it though so I cannot say with 100% certainty. Someone on here suggested that it was a possibility so I checked it out at work one day.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes the Mean Green has bee out there for sometime now
    [​IMG]
    I also remember them being very expensive. 300 plus /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    PowerMaster is another:
    [​IMG]
    200 smakers for this one....in the starter discriptions no body really is talking about water and mud with the discriptions. They mainly talk about torque and heat.....

I want both torque and sealed for water/mud applications????
    Comon some has to know here................. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Go down to your local chevy dealer and pick up the gear reduction starter offered in the performance parts book.
    about 180 bucks.I've had mine wuppin' over my big block
    for two years and seen plenty of mud/water/pressure washings,,,has never failed
    me yet!!!!

12. dyeager535

Yeah, if the stock or GMPP gear reduction starters are like that picture of the mean green (and I think they are) it's pretty obvious there is almost no place for water and mud to enter. Much less than even that powermaster one shown.

You'll probably never find one thats completely sealed, just too much cost and effort to make it truly waterproof, but who knows. At least if you can slow down entry into the starter, you have more of a margin of "safety".

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have gone through about 6 starters in the last few years! I now keep a new spare in the back of the truck at all times. At least you don't have an auto...

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

We have been dealing with dirt in the starter for years since we run the swamps and it is very common to submerge the starter in mud/silt .
    I have not had any luck with an aftermarket "sealed starter " but what has worked is sealing the starter ourselves . We would take end cap off and use a quality silicon to seal both ends of the starter body / screws that hold the magnets / and use a rubber gasket for the solenoid .
    NVERENUF uses a Tilton gear reduction starter on his motor and it has done VERY well ( and gets dunked in the goo fairly regularly ). I have seen the $100.00 generic gear reduction starters crap out quickly after a good mud run - I don't know if they are not sealed as well or what ?
    I think I remember hearing that most of the aftermarket gear reduction starters are based off of a Nissian starter so that might help if parts are needed or looking for options for better sealing .
    One thing to keep in mind is that there is a vent on most of the gear reduction starters so you may want to run a long hose if needed .
    In the end I look at starters in the mud as a replaceable part that needs major maitanance from time to time - the silt will get in or corrotion(sp) will take over if enough time is spent in the goo .
    Good luck Tom
    Just as a note - I have never ran a Mean Green starter myself but I have heard very good things about them and the Pro Mod drag race guys like them .They seem like a very high quality product .

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Remote starter solenoid is suppose to help. Not exactly anything to do with being water tight or sealed, but it moves it up out of the water at least if you have to use the starter while in water IIRC

A pic of what I am talking about:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/53097141/56657339vwmKwI

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replys Fellas! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I do run a remote silly already and I think I will try and seal my current starter. I have never had an issue yet but I don't play in the mud a whole lot too, but when I do I would prefer not to lay on my back in the mud messin around /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am glad I have a manual tranny so i could still pop start it if I had too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif