Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Oct 24, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

what is the second small terminal on the starter solenoid for? and what would happen if i were to hook the solenoid wire to the wrong pole?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It feeds power to the ignition while in the start position. It hasn't been used in years though. If you look on some of them they are initialed st and ign. If you put the start wire on the ign post nothing will happen when you try and start it.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

What he said. On a points type ignition system, the small post feeds full voltage to the distributor while the starter is engaged. When you let the key return to the run position, that post is dead.

4. 78k54x4

78k54x4 Newbie

I just replaced the points type dist. on a 74 blazer with an hei unit, and now my ignition sw. won't stop the eng. could the problem be that extra wire on the starter? If so how do i cure this prob? Thanks.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only time the ign terminal on the solenoid is "hot" is when the switch is turned to start the engine.

What wire is the "new" distributor you installed connected to? If you ran a new, heavier wire like you needed to, it should go to a fuse block terminal that's only "hot" when the ign switch is in the run position.

Use a test light to find that.

6. 78k54x4

78k54x4 Newbie

Thanks for the fast reply "DONTOE", Yea that was the prob. I ran a 10ga. wire but had it hooked to the wrong place on the fuse block. Thanks again.