Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greg83k5, Feb 10, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

have there been any changes to the smallblock starter through the years?

are all smallblock flywheels 168 tooth? this is what my new flywheel is-

my block is a 77..... in it's previous incarnation, it would occasionally grind, then bust the nose off starters... no amount of shimming would help. now i'm going back with a brand new 168 tooth flywheel we got from a friend. my father thinks there are differences through the years and i do not...

EXCEPT weren't there some with different sized bolts to match the amount of nosecone body they had to pass through to get to the block?? was that the only difference??

* keep the greasy side down *

2. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

whats up?

autozone's site is listing different numbers for different smallblock applications.........

what's the difference, and how do i match this flywheel to a starter?????!!!!!??????!?!!

i broke like 3 starters before, i DO NOT want to repeat this nightmare!!!

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

From what I've heard over time I almost want to say there was a 173 tooth ring gear. Go surf www.paceparts.com and call the 800 number...GUARANTEE they will give you the skinny!!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive