Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter rant (problem solved)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Apr 28, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

guess its time to plea for someone to help. I cant get the focking starter lined up on my truck. after my last truck that ate starters about once a week I got pretty good at taking them off rebuilding them and putting them back on. I got good enough that I could line them up with any sort of gauge, just by looking at the gap.

for some reason I cant get this one to line up. Ive tried gapping it with an allen wrench with the methods posted here, Ive tryed guessing at it like normally do, I even broke down and followed the instructions that came with the starter and the ones in my chilton book. for some reason the gawdamn thing wont work. Ive put it one with no shims, too close. added a small shim still too close. went one size up in shims and it was too far away.:mad:

I am 100% sure the starter is not broke (had the same problem with one that had a cracked housing) and the flywheel is good. Im tired, bruised and pissed off. its dark and I have to lay in gravel but Im so mad and want this thing going so bad that Im only taking a break to let off some steam and then Ill get back to it. it also doesnt help that I used headers for a camaro so there would be more clearance for my driveshaft and springs. gained clearance there but lost just as much in the starter area so its a tight fit to get in there.

does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?:(

on a good note, when I can get it to start the truck runs darn good and sounds awesome with the new exhaust I just had put on.;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

might try just putting a half shim in there

3. big dan

think I may have it figured out. my bolts were too long so the starter wouldnt get tightened up all the way. Im hoping that after I swap in these shorter bolts everything will work out.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had similar trouble out'a even new starters on my '75. About two weeks ago I bought a Mini-starter and it is amazing at the difference...........all positive!

[​IMG]

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I see someone is running the remote solenoid... :D

6. big dan

yeah we've got some dixie mini starters where I work. I drool over them every day, with my discount its $130. kinda hard to shell out that kinda cash right now though. Im in debt from school this semester and have to find a way to pay it off. I get those cheap lifetime rebuilds for $20.

so heres my problem: sounds like the starter is going to deep into the flywheel. I tried shiming it but even with the smallest shim Ive got it moves it too far away and the starter gear jumps the flywheel teeth.

got my problem with the bolts worked out and I need a battery that I will pick up tomorrow. mine is so dead it wont turn the motor over when I try to jump it with my other truck.

gonna see what it will do with a new battery and I may file down the starter and then try shiming it to line it up and if that still dont work, looks like Im gonna lose some cash and get the starter that I want. thanks for the support, maybe Ill get it worked out soon so I can start wheelin again.

7. 1fastchevy

1fastchevy Registered Member

man I had trouble for a month one time, went trhough battires and starters and still couldnt figure it out, I was at my breeaking down point be cuse I just wanted to drive it, but it was not reliable and I was not walking, turned out the bolt holes were striped, drilled them and helicoiled them and now no shims or anything and It starts like a champ, 6 months now, Dave

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes Sir...........did the first one about 12 years ago. Every Chevy I've had since gets the same treatment. My "new" Sub gets it soon! :wink1:

9. big dan

Im pretty sure that my bolt holes arent stripped. the bolts turn easily and get good and tight without any symptoms of a stripped threads. Ill take it into considerations though, thanks.

10. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

hey are you aware that chevy has different variations of the same starter? Different noses on them to place them closer/further from the flexplate. Do you know what year/make/model your flexplate is out of? If so go ask for the same year starter- as long as the bolt pattern will work for you.

11. big dan

perfect timing. :bow: I just returned from a guys house (we call him dirt track danny). builds racecars if you didnt guess by the name. got my truck running and drove it up to his house so he could listen and help me. he shared this bit of information that I never knew and I was just fixing to post up and share what I learned.;)

the starter I was using was one of the older style ones. as far as I or anyone I talked to knew the only difference was that one had a bigger solenoid. wrong.:eek1: Danny informed me that most people dont know about the different noses that came on them. so we loaded up and exchanged the starter for one of the newer models and bam, problem solved. thanks for all the help and support guys.:bow:

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Good to hear! It's nice when an annoying problem is solved for good rather then just patched up.

13. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

LOL, Sounds like a character. You know you're bad*ss when you have a name like that. hahahah.

14. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

They call me 'K5Dan' around here.