Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter removal tranny cooler lines Grim or anyone else

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Heartland, Aug 24, 2000.

1. Heartland

Heartland Newbie

I am having trouble with getting my starter removed. There is not enough space to remove it unless I remove the tranny cooler lines at the transmition. It is a Auto. So Can I unscrew these lines from the tranny with out having to work about air in the line or having to flush it out. Also there is so much dirt around the fittings at the end of the line. I am worried about getting dirt in the fluid.

So if I remove the cooler lines what problems should I expect?

Also a side note. My starter the cast nose peace sreaded. I found it laying in the flyweel cover. Is this common. I have a 305 V8 and either a TH 350 or a 700

If you work at a tranny shop I exspecially would like to hear from you.
    Thanks

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Those cooler lines have alot of side to side play in them. Before you go disconnecting anything try moving those lines to the side a little, just dont force them to much to where they bend. If you do have to disconnect them, I would do it at the cooler, not the tranny....easier to get to and probably cleaner. That is also a higher point in the system which means less fluid to leak out.
    As far as your starter goes....I have never seen one break there. I dont see it being a problem though as long as your bendix dont shoot out of the starter, hehe.
    If you have overdrive.....then you have a 700, if you dont have overdrive.....then you have a 350 or 400.

[​IMG]

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I agree with 4x4 blazer. Should be enough room to get that out without disconnecting the lines. The lines should have a clip that is bolted to the oil pan at the front of the engine that you may need to remove to get enough give. If you have to unbolt them at the tranny it's no big deal but have a catch pan ready. You may find that the converter and cooler will drain back though those lines and you will get a couple quarts in the face. Just be sure to hook them back up the way they were. The aire will bleed out on it's own. Start the truck and let it idle for a minute or two before putting in gear and it should clear out. Also becarefull to get the right amount of fluid in the tranny. Overfilling is just as bad as under filling an Auto.
    Since you got a 305 I'm betting you have a 700R4. A TH350 has a Square pan with one corner cut off at a 45deg.
    Never heard of a starter comming appart that way. May have been a shotty rebuild. Ususaly what kills starters is Heat and crud.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Not to be sarcastic or offensive, but,

THE MARINE AIR WING QUICK-FIX FOR CRUD AROUND FLUID FITTINGS

1. Using a rag, wipe the fitting and the surrounding area until the crud is gone. A little oil or ATF on the rag helps with the caked-on stuff.

That's it!! Quite sensible when you think about it... So who says Marines aren't smart??

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status