Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter shim

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Oct 9, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

The last owner of my 84 k5 with a 700r4 and 305 engine replaced the starter without replacing the shim. Now the starter is having trouble catching the flywheel every once in a while. I looked on the advance auto parts website, but couldn't figure out which one goes on my truck. Anyone know a part number or where to get one?
    Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Local parts store should be able to get you one or two.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i just used 2 flat washers. one on each bolt. worked like a charm.

nathan

4. georgiared84

OK, This may sound stupid, but they go around the mounting bolts between the starter and the mounting holes right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Right. The point is to space the starter away from the engine. The shims are a one piece deal with a hole on one end and a slot on the other so you only have to remove one bolt and then loosen up the other.

6. georgiared84

Thanks, I think I know what they look like now. I'm going to stop by NAPA today and see what they've got. Would missing shims cause the starter to not catch when starting? It makes a short grinding noise then catches. I went to take it out yesterday, but for some reason didn't disconnect the battery. Nice light show. (Brain Fart) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

you may need to shim only one side!!! you need to cut a piece of round metal stud 1/8 in diameter.... that should fit in between the round rod inside the starter nose and the flywheel...
    Use commoooon sence when using shims..... one whole shim will take the atarter down and away from the flywheel... a shim on only one side, say the pass side, will tilt the starter toiwards the flywheel... that's what i had to do.. 2 shims on the pass side to tilt the starter for a better grab /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif works great now!!!

-Aaron /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. georgiared84

I might try a shim on the passenger side to get the gear to engage on the flywheel better.
    Thanks.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

you might have stripped the front side of the teeth on your flywheel. thats what i did to mine last time. and your right on the bolts.

69K5
    nathan