Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Shiming

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockyRider13, Jun 30, 2002.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

Is the absolutly necessary? Did i screw up big time when I put in a new starter and just threw out the shims? What can i use to shim it? Thanks

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Buy some GM starter shims in the HELP section at the auto parts store, or you can buy a kit that will tell you exactly how. to hard to explain here but it's really easy...Good luck... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Their only nesscessary if the starter isn't lined up with the flywheel(ie high-pitched screechin noise when starting) I didn't put any in on the last starter.

4. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My starters last longer if I shim when needed. In an extreme case you can even damage your flywheel. You can use a .020" wire guage to check the clearance between the pinion tooth and flywheel. Use shims on both bolts to increase the clearance and shims on only the outboard bolt to decrease the clearance. You can also get close by shimming the outboard bolt if it is noisy while cranking, and shimming both bolts if there is a high pitched whine after the engine fires.