Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Solenoid Connections

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delway, Apr 8, 2003.

1. delway

delway Newbie

Hello, This is my first time to make a post. I did do a search but I couldn't find an answer. I have a 84 K5 Auto 305 4 wheel drive that will not start. When I turn the key There isn't any response (no clicks, etc.). I changed out the battery and negative ground wire and made sure that all of my connections are clean and secure. I put a jumper wire on the starter solenoid ignition terminal and jumped it to the positive terminal on my battery to see of the starter motor would turn over. All I got was a few sparks...the starter would not turn over. I bought a rebuilt starter and solenoid and noticed that the solenoid has three terminals on it. Looking at the solenoid from the front of the truck, twelve noon terminal is the postive from the battery and three oclock terminal is the ignition wire. What goes to the nine oclock terminal??? The solenoid that is currently installed only has two wires connected to it. I did locate a yellow wire, maybe 18 guage with a connector on it that was tied off above the starter. Does this wire connect to the nine o'clock terminal? Is this the HEI wire (I saw this in another post)? What does HEI stand for and what does it do.

Also, how do I handle the shims when removing the starter? Do I just chalk their position on the starter when doing the removal? Will I see the shims when I remove the starter? I'm not to clear on the shim process. Any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

On the right side is the s terminal, thats where the wire from the key goes, on the left is r terminal, thats where the wire to the coil (for points) goes. Obviously you dont have points. Im not sure where the HEI (high energy ignition) wire goes because mines wired up differrently. If you do that and still nothing check the neutra saftey switch or the ignition switch.