Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Solenoid problem.

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by 85 Shortbox, May 20, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

The solenoid on my starter is going out. I unbolted the starter, fanaggled it around until I could pull it out and that is when I came to the end of the wires. My question I suppose is, how do I get to those wires? No matter how I turn, twist, or move the starter I have no room to get at the wires. I even tried through the fender well. Any ideas?? Thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I swapped out the starter on my '91 S-Jimmy last year. What a PITA. To get it out, I had to drop the lower cover over the flexplate. But to get that out, I had to drop the front driveshaft. Then I was finally able to get the starter out. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Since the front u-joints were the factory originals, I went ahead and installed new ones while I had it apart.

Oh yeah, the solenoid for my '91 didn't screw on, it's pressed on. I figured out how to change it, but the $#@& solenoid cost $50, while NAPA's good rebuilt starter cost around $90. I went for the whole starter so I hopefully won't have to do that chore again anytime soon. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

OK here is how it went. Unbolted starter. Clipped zip ties holding wires in place, and unbolted the wire clip from the block. Twisted and turned starter til it was just about out. Clipped the skinny wire going to the solenoid close to the solenoid so I had some slack. Pulled the starter rest the way out. When I put it back in I just used a spare piece of wire about 6-8 inches long and used a butt connector to tie the wires together. Bodda-bing Bodda boom I was in business.