Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter sounds funny?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, May 14, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I was busy trying to get my truck started tonight (flooded due to static injectors) but the starter is sounding funny. It sounds like it is spinning the engine really fast, but according to the tach, its only like 150 rpm or so. A buddy who has a lot of experience with these trucks also figured it sounded odd, sounded like it was racing, but really wasn't. He figures that it is binding up on something, but I can't see what.

Anyone here ever have their truck do this before? If so, what was the solution? The starter was good before I swapped to standard, and has sounded odd ever since.

Never did get the truck started, DOH! I've got some new injectors coming, which will be nice. Right now the fuel rail looses all it's pressure within 30 seconds or so :(

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So you went from automatic to standard? Are you sure it meshes right since you changed from a flexplate to a flywheel?

3. Russell

Haven't crawled under to look. What is the best way to do that by yourself? I don't have much for help around here, unless I can teach the dog to hold the clutch and crank the truck for me!

And yes, I did convert from a TH400 to an SM465

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Why does the dog need to hold the clutch? You didn't install a clutch interlock did you? That'd be your first mistake. That's the first thing I disable anytime I buy a manual.

As far as how to make sure the starter lines up, couldn't tell you. I've always been lucky enough to not need shims. :p:

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, you can just jump the starter when you're under the truck too. Then you can be closer to it as it malfunctions, maybe figure out what's really going on. Just don't shock yourself.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you may have a starter alignment issue, do you have any of the little rods that they give you to check for proper clearance when you install a new starter? The starter on my 454 sounds pretty bad, its just needs to be shimmed but I have been too lazy to get under there and do it.

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I think I've heard a paper clip makes for a good teeth depth gauge. you can engauge the bendix gear and check, you just don't wanna hold it there too long.

Sierra classic, I have a starter shim kit I can mail you for the price of shipping if you need it.

8. Russell

If you're talking the clutch safety switch, then no, I don't have one installed, and I can crank in gear. Just not sure what I think of the idea of being under the truck cranking it over with even the remotest possiblity of it taking off on me, lol

I do have one of those little starter solenoid remote thingers I can put on to engage it myself, but as I mentioned before, I work on my truck alone all day, and rarely does someone come to check on me, so safety is a huge priority, lol

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well then, put the transmission AND the transfercase in neutral. :waytogo: She won't be going anywhere then. I'd trust that more than a buddy with his foot on the clutch anyway. That misplaced trust has gotten me run over before...:doah: The people I work with. :rolleyes: