Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter tearing up my flywheel teeth

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by burbnthedsrt, Apr 24, 2002.

1. burbnthedsrt

burbnthedsrt Registered Member

My starter was killing my flywheel teeth. With 1,2, or 3 shims
    it is to far away still. So i pulled the trany and tc and replaced flywheel. After a few good starts back to sos. PLease help if you can.

2. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Did you install a new starter? If not, and you probably will...there is a difference in starters for an automatic and stick. I had installed one into my Burb which is automatic. The starter came off of a stick shift. When I finally put the correct starter in....all was well in the world.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Could be a bad selenoid in your starter too, not pushin the gear out far enought to engage the flywheel.
    Marty--

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

First fill out your profile and we will know to some degree what setup you have.
    I recently put on a high torgue mini starter and couldnt' figure out why I was chewing teeth also. I had the aluminum flywheel cover off, for other reasons. Once that was back in place, no more nashing teeth.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> O.k. , that weird ........ As we speak, my Blazer just whines real loud when I try to start it .........It never turns over ........ I don't have on a flywheel cover either .......Why would that make a difference ?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Riz, you have the classic symptom of a sticking solenoid. Replace the solenoid and your starter should work fine.

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It must correct the angle between the block and the tranny is all that I can figure. The starter I had was sticking, not all the time. When I put the cover and braces on it stopped and has yet to do it again.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'll do that ...thanks !