Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Wire Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Aug 18, 2000.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I was replacing some wires in my engine compartment(while the motor is out). I need to know what wires go on the starter. I have 2 large ones for the main post and 1 for the small post. I used to have 4 wires 2 large, 2 small, but the wire connector melted and I can't figure out where it went. Some of the wiring has been cut and modified due to the Tpi motor swap a few years back(1990). I looked at a wiring diagram, and I don't thing I needed the 4th wire.

Thanks in advance(I hate wiring)
    Michael

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On mine ( it's a diesel ) I have the battery cable , two big wires ( for the big terminal ) and one small wire for the solenoid . I don't know what year you have but on earlier years they had a 4th small wire for the other side of solenoid . This went to the points so it would create a hotter spark during start up . I bet Eagle will have a wiring diagram if you need it .

3. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I didn't think I needed the 4the small wire because of the 88 TPI motor

Thanks again