Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter wire ? (w/ PIC)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, May 2, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My starter has always been fun not by the igniton switch but by a seperate switch that unfortunantly ran full non-fused battery voltage right into the cab (bad.)
    I've seen seraching and searching for the true starter wire. I couldn't find it on the back of the fuse block or any of the engine wires, so I decied to look at the column wires. I found a few wires not hooked up to anything so I tested them. Here's what I found.

<a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/frame/wires.jpg>http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/frame/wires.jpg</a>

The three wires harness that I'm holding has three wires (orangish,blue,black) and has nothing under the dash that I can see to hook it up to.
    The two wire harness (purple and yellow) also had nothing I could find to hook it to, but when I used my multimeter on the yellow side (which is why I have a spade connected inserted into it) it has 12V only when I hve the igntion switch to START.
    Bingo, found it. I will run it through a grommet in the firewall, probably over the engine and then down the pass side of the engine to the starter.
    I don't know a thing about the purple wire. It does not have voltage at START or IGN.
    Maybe this is a connector for, say, auto-equipped vehicles that makes sure it is in park or neutral?? Not sure, but I can't find out where the purple goes so I'll tape it off not use it.
    Just wanting to know if anyone has any idea what the purple wire is for or what the small guage wires are for.
    -- Mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah I think you are on track with the neutral start switch theory. The wire color is correct for starter (purple is what goes to the solenoid by itself) and I am pretty sure purple in the cab runs to the neutral start. Even manual trucks had this, but it was a clutch depress switch, at least on my hydraulic setup. ('85-up)

If my thinking is correct, if the switch was in place, ONLY in park/neutral would that purple wire get voltage from the yellow, and relay it to the starter. If you just leave them wired together, you could remove your seperate ignition switch, should you want to.

Since that is the factory setup, (basically) if the rest of the wiring is intact, the way you have done it will work, instead of cutting and taping. I'd jam an actual wire in there with insulation to help prevent problems, and although it isn't "right" it will work. Neutral start switch is only there so you don't kill yourself or others. (but hey, if you don't start the truck with your foot on the brake, you might want it I guess)

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Since that wire is hot when the key is on start, it should work as the correct signal for your starter. However, not knowing where it comes from, I think it would be best to use it only to drive a relay. Otherwise, you could burn something out. A solenoid takes a lot of current. Locating the relay under the hood allows you to run heavy wire from the battery to the relay to the solenoid to give you good starts. This is basically a remote solenoid. Make sure you use a big relay.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Buy the book. It tells you the wire codes and where the come from / go to. You start hooking things up because you "think" that's where it goes and all kinds of stuff starts going wierd. Make sure to take pics though, I love a good fire works show! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif!!

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the yellow and purple wires were for the original starter connector,it went to either the neutral switch or the clutch switch, the purple wire then goes to the firewall connector and on to the starter, the 3 small wires go to the cruise control switch in your turn signal lever, it should come out of the column at the base of the turn signal lever.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike...fill out your profile some more so we can know what year truck we're talking about.
    Now, the two wire connector - yellow and purple originally went to the clutch start interlock switch. It either is or was a manual tranny truck (in theory) The yellow comes from the ignition switch, the purple goes to the starter solenoid. Purple always goes to the starter - manual or auto.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike...fill out your profile some more so we can know what year truck we're talking about.
    Now, the two wire connector - yellow and purple originally went to the clutch start interlock switch. It either is or was a manual tranny truck (in theory) The yellow comes from the ignition switch, the purple goes to the starter solenoid. Purple always goes to the starter - manual or auto. I'm not sure on the other wires...not knowing what model and I couldn't get your pics to come up.