Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter wiring--HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, May 8, 2005.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Ok, my starter wiring is all kinds of FUBAR!! It is ghetto hacked and I'm trying to figure out how to rewire it after it recently caught fire. Not surpisingly either. Anyhow. I've got a Chilton's manual for my K5, 1984 and also one for the years prior to mine for an older blazer I had. So, with that said, after reviewing both wiring diagrams for the starter wiring, neither matches. I've found the wire coming out of the alternator, the safety switch wire (purple), but there are 3 mystery wires. All are either 10 or 12 gauge, unmarked, red. In a fit of rage, when the harness caught fire, I cut everything off. Dumb I know, but I was slightly pissed. So, can anyone give me some help or better diagrams so I can figure this out and try and get my K5 running again. Thanks!!!

Kris

2. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

one of them splites off into two and they both go to the alt. one on the terminal with the nut and the other in the plug, the third one goes to the junction box on the firewall by the brake booster. also you need to have the fuseable links in there next to the starter.

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Ok. So i've got the purple safety switch wire set aside. Its good to go. Then there is the wire coming out of the alternator to the starter set aside and ready to go. That still leaves two red wires coming from the bundle behind the motor from the main bundle from the fire wall. Those are the two that are giving me problems. Any ideas? They don't seem to go to the juntion on the firewall that you are talking about. The junction is there though.

Kris

4. 4XSlave

4XSlave Registered Member

remianing two red wires

one goes to the junction block, the other goes into the fuse block, position 2j. good luck.