Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Aug 2, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

OK i feel sorta bad about making this an urgent post cause its not more important thatn anyone elses but today i started up the truck and it sounded like the starter was maing a popping sound. It had done this last night too. Both of these times it had to cracnk for awhile before the engine caught. (that usually happens after the car sits for awhile) But this morning it started up and I puled it out and I started washing some mud off of it. I got done with one side (passenger and went to turn it on so i could move it and get to the other side but when i turned the key it wouldnt turn over. The fasten seatbelt light ccame on and it buzzed at me but that was it. I had just replaced this starter after blazer fest. What do you think?

Also just before i started wasing it i turned it on the off a few times to try and figure out what that popping sound was. Any ideas? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

update:
    thanks guys, i think the solenoid is bad cause after it didnt work the first time i rapped on it with a hammer and then i posted this then i went out oand beat on it again and it fired right up.

why is it that i go thru starters so fast /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: *URGENT* Car just died and i need to get to work

Disconnect the positive batt cable and then check all the connections at the starter itself. If they are all tight reconnect the battery cable. It may be a bad starter, bad solenoid, or even a weak battery...when it did crank over was it slow at all?

Rene

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: *URGENT* Car just died and i need to get to work

Check the fuseable links at the starter too... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan