Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5redneck, Jan 19, 2005.

1. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

can i take a starter off an auto(th400 big block) and use it on a sm 465(big block)?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Like I thought before , I want to say yes . I keep looking at different big blocks , trucks , cars and I keep coming up with the same starter number . They don't even ask about what tranny . So I would guess since it DOES bolt to the block the flexplate and flywheels have the same tooth count :thinking:

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

73-up yeah as long is same diameter flywheel/plate

72 or so and older manual trans starters were cast iron nose and three bolt and didnt bolt to engine block

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

starters are different

I've seen the 3 bolt starters the 4 speed uses that bolts to the bellhousing in trucks up to 1980 or so,not sure if they were factory or not.--I used to get a lot of starters sent back from garages when I'd send them the usual staggered 2 bolt ones the books listed...

You can swap the noses from one starter to the other if you wish,thats the only difference except for some having a shorter solenoid and metric bolts..some later 86 up starters have a different angle on the solenoids position to miss the oil pan ..after that they get really funky,some are permanent magnet gear reduction on newer trucks,probably wont work on older motors.??....:crazy:

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm always swapping around starters... from small blocks to big block, manuals to automatics. Most Chevy fullsize starters are all the same. They made like a high torque and low torque starter, but bolt up patterns are the same.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are two basic starters: one nose is for the 153 tooth flywheel/flexplate, one is for the 168 tooth, and the obvious difference is the bolts being "staggered" or not. Only difference that you are concerned with on "modern" chev's.

7. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

well i bolted it up to see if it would work and it dont.. the starter teath are hiting the flywheel, not the flywheel teath. i got a new starter for it so im going to try that one to night...:grin: