Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 14, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well I didnt drive the truck for about a weeka nd yesteday i started it up just so it wouldnt sit for too long wihtout being started up.. i let it rev a bit and sit there nad i shut it down.. well today i turn it on to get to chruch and well i turn the key and it does a slow cranking and kinda stops goes stops goes and dies.... it cranks slowly.. i think its my starter... how hard is it to replace one.. it looks kinda easy... how are the switch wires and battery wires connected on the solenoid? Do I need to unscrew those to get the wires off so i can take the starter off? Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter and 4.56
    "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Son of a female dog.. my starter

I heard cleaning the gournd terminal helps? Where is the gorund terminal? Thanks
    I tried it again it cranks slowly like its bogging or lagging and then after a few seconds of craning it will start clicking ... clink clink clink

thanks
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter and 4.56
    "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:04 PM.</FONT></P>

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

That sounds like your battery. First remove the connectors from the battery and clean the terminals real good and the connectors. then put it back on and try cranking it. If it does it still then go have your battery tested.
    The click click click when you try to start it means the starter isnt getting enough power. I'll guarantee if you get someone to jump you that it will start right up.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    &lt;a target=&amp;quot;_blank&amp;quot; href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com&gt;http://www.rockreadyk5.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:04 PM.</FONT></P>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That is the same thing that happend to mine. The batt was charged and it would crank over slow (mostily when it was hot but as it got worse it would do it cold too). Than one day it would not start at all. To get it home I had a friend of mine hold the key to start and I hit the starter w/ a sledge : ) It started right up.

Starters are easy to replace. There are 2 bolts that hold the starter in (9/16" socket if memory serves), the big wire from the batt, and the small ign. switch wire. Remove the neg. cable from the batt befor doing anything.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    &lt;a target=&amp;quot;_blank&amp;quot; href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged&gt;See it Here &lt;/a&gt; <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:05 PM.</FONT></P>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had a similar problem even after doing my remote solenoid...turned out I had overlooked a poor ground cable.&lt;img src=&amp;quot;http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/blush.gif&amp;quot;&gt;
    check all your connections and the condition of of your cables.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    &lt;a target=&amp;quot;_blank&amp;quot; href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2&gt; tRusty pics...&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:06 PM.</FONT></P>

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah my friend got mud in his starter and couldnt start it back up so my other friedn took a baseball bat and banged on the starter and it started up... old chevy trick he claimed.

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter and 4.56
    "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:06 PM.</FONT></P>

7. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

MY NEIGHBOR IS A ELECTRICIAN AND HE SAYS ELECTRIC MOTORS EITHER WORK OR THEY DONT SO ITS GOT TO BE YOUR BATTERY OR CABLES.OH YEA IT COULD ALSO BE YOUR TIMING.IF YOUR STARTER IS TURNING IT OVER ITS NOT BAD.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:07 PM.</FONT></P>

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah i got a 850 cold cranking amps or whatever.. and it started up fast... almost as fast as my car
    Thanks guys.

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter and 4.56
    "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:08 PM.</FONT></P>

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

So it was the battery? Did I read you right, you bought a new one thats 850CCA?

Somehow from the symptoms you posted, I knew it was the battery.

*pats self on back* :)

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    &lt;a target=&amp;quot;_blank&amp;quot; href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com&gt;http://www.rockreadyk5.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:09 PM.</FONT></P>

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yes i bought a new one 850 cca eight hundred fifty... starts up really fast compared to my other really dirty, really nasty, really old 792 cca one. lol

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter and 4.56
    "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:11 PM.</FONT></P>

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Re: Son of a female dog.. my starter

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Edited by Grim-Reaper on 10/14/01 06:11 PM.

<hr></blockquote>.... hmmmmmm.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].........

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got complaints. Didn't want to delete the post since it was a valid question they guy had. So I just went and changed the title[​IMG]
    I still say battery. I also call bolongna on the starter working or not that somebody else posted about his electrician friends comment. A DC motor, if the armature windings over heat and burn can and have run at low speed since there windings burn together and make a shorter path it decreases the amount of torq it can generate and it will run slow under load. That often happens on winch motors when they get over heated. Tell your Electrician that what applies to AC motors does not apply to DC motors. A AC motor it is"almost true". If the motor was to get spinning it might run. the problem is the shorted out windings would play hell with the starter (all electrical to trick the motor into spinning one dirrection only Really the only bigg difference between a AC and DC motor) most A/C motors have and may short it out. A AC motor can run either direction also. The wiring into the starter is what determins the direction it will run. Little different that a DC motor because DC is totaly dependent on the polarity. A AC motor can run on DC current but often you will find them running backwards to what they were running on A/C. They can even flip flop on DC. Run one dirrection turn it off and spin it by hand the other direction and turn it on it run the other dirrection. Just depends onhow many windings are in contact with the brushes as to what way it can make it's first amount of movement and start spinning.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

sorry bout the title.. wasnt thinking... kinda pissed about the problem. But its all good now =D

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter and 4.56
    "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"