Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bee32, Dec 18, 2001.

1. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Has any one seen the starter that is almost completely incased? I just put one on mine. It prevents dirt and all from gettin inside and sc%^&in up the gears. And the greatest thing is that it cost nothing extra. My buddy just told me that they have been around awhile. Guess this shows how long my old one lasted. Oh well.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Not sure what you're talking about unless it's a gear-reduction starter. MoPile and the Japanese have been using that type of starter for many decades. They started catching favor with the GM and F*rd guys in the '70s when racers needed to go to torquier starters that weighed less. Many of them only have their pinion gears exposed.

FWIW, I have a Hitachi-based planetary type gear reduction starter in my Blazer and I also have a new Nippondenso-based GPE conventional gear-reduction starter that I'm doing nothing with.