Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 10, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

OK, I've modified and replaced almost every part on my truck, but I still have the cheapo rebuilt starter from Parts America. I'd kind of like to upgrade that part too. Anyone else done this? Are those gear reduction starters the way to go? TIA

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Get one of those "Mean Green" starters. I think that's the name. It has the word "green" in the name. They're awsome!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The gear reductions not really neccesary unless you've got insanely high compression. I've got a NAPA heavy duty and like it just fine.

[​IMG]

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Unless you are cooking OEM type starters(because of compression) I dont see why you would really need a stronger (more expensive) starter. But if you need one the Mean Green's are the way to go

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

5. i wouldn't wanna drag an expensive starter thru water and mud...... the one for the boat was sealed, and of course a helluva lot more expensive than the usual pep-boys replacement, i wonder if that would work? i DO know that starter shields are awesome for removing heat, and divorcing the solenoid would be even better!

greg