Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STARTERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 5, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I have to get my 4th starter replaced in 3 years. WHy am I going through so many starters????

I had the ring gear replaced about a year and a half ago.

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Try buying an ACDelco. I have heard people that have had problems with others and got one of these and haven't had any more problems. I have to get the starter on my 71 rebuilt about 2 a year /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif .

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats happening with them? Do you run headers, or any type of exhaust routing that is "heat soaking" them?

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree. AC Delco is the only way to go.

I went through this problem YEARS ago. Around when I first came to this site. I had went through 4 or so Pep Boys starters until learning the value of the AC Delco. Bought 2 of them. Guess what, 2 years later and I still have the same very two with no problems from them at all.

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with jc71355. I had to replace off brand starters 3 times in ONE month. I put in an AC Delco and haven't had to touch it in 2 years.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You guys are just too lazy! Whats wrong with buying one lifetime warranty starter and replacing it once a year? lol

Actually I noticed that with my Olds. I've got a "lifetime" starter on it, and I've replaced it...4 times already? (Probably about once a year...last time the "contact disk" in the solenoid looked like swiss cheese, and cranking was slow)

Of course, I have a feeling the aftermarket doesn't bother matching starters up with the right motors, unlike GM...there are enough solenoid/starter differences on GM vehicles, and as the aftermarket has been, I doubt they even bother checking. I've already noticed 4 different GM starter setups (based on compression and engine size no doubt) and I would bet there are even more differences I haven't noticed yet.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I went thru 4 in 2 months /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . Got an AC Delco, no probs since. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif