Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Startes and mud

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pplblazerdude, Nov 29, 2003.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

Ok all i ever hear from my dad about his fourwheelin days and about me startin to try deeper mud is that i will be buying new starters almost every time i get it to deep. I know i will need a new one if i get mud in it but is there anywayi can prevent it from getting full of mud or is this just the downside to mud bogging and playin in the mud.

Thanks
    Clint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Autozone sells a a starter with a closed nose cone build specifically for keeping out mud and other foreign objects. They are rather pricey though, but they carry a lifetime warranty. Just an idea.

Krennen

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ive only had my truck little over half a year prolly and already gone through 1 starter becuase fo the same [darn]..that and my headers.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I kept mine as clean as I could and went through about one per year.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've got the closed nose starter from A.Z. and it has worked flawlessly for me for the past five years.

Yeah it was a little pricy but it works great and with the heavy aluminum flywheel cover I have on my 700 I can seal it up real well and not have any problems what so ever.

And with the lifetime warrenty I don't worry, if it ever goes I get it replaced for free.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have gone through about 4 starters in the last 3 years and I only drive it every once and a while. I now have a spare in the back "just in case". I bought one from AZ and one from Kragen. When one goes out I put in the spare and return the other at which ever store is closer. My truck has a combination of 2 problems. Heat from headers and mud. I put a heat shield on it for a while and that solved the heat problem but it held the mud in. I now just toss a new one on almost every trip /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Back when I still played in the mud I had a starter pack it in after a trip. I pulled it out, disassembled it and hosed the mud out of it. Not exactly rocket science, yet that same starter lasted another 3 years and two more mudding trips. I ran headers too.

Funny how they work so much better when you rinse them out...

rene

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm just lazy...swapping in a new one is so much easier...I'll let the rebuild place clean all the mud out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think we all would agree that keeping the mud out in the first place is your best bet. You can get starters with the more closed nose cone, there are Orings available that seal everything except the pinion, and never underestimate the importance of a good dust cover.

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not exactly rocket science

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit it on the head Rene. If you are going to run mud, take the time one weekend and learn how to tear a starter down and wash it out. Its not hard, you dont need any special tools, it will help you on the trail next time someone elses packs in (makes you look like a trail god) and keeps yours clean, cooler, and running good!
    My starter has been on my truck for 5 yrs now... torn down and cleaned like 20 times, and rebuilt with new brushes, bearings twice I think. Sure beats a 80.00 starter every year! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Mike

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure beats a 80.00 starter every year! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they're free lifetime units. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, my local NAPA has started getting flak from thier suppliers over some of our warranty stuff. Brakes for example. If you bring back a lifetime set of brake pads in 3 months due to them being worn off by mud, they are refusing to replace them. Same for starters etc. The store will get big time flak if they return a starter for warranty and its full of mud... eventually, they will refuse to warranty it. And they can cause if you read the warranty card, it prolly specifically mentions 'off-road use' or 'normal driving conditions'. You might be lucky if you are in a large city where you can jump around store locations, but up here I have one NAPA within a 2 hour radius! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a Powermaster "mini" starter...
    It's a sealed unit...
    I've been in water..mud...
    You name-it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

whats so bad about running headers?

ive had no problems, except they changed colors, lol

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Starters don't like heat...and headers heat them up more than manifold do.

Rene

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I would say just was em off. But i dont have that problem, isuzus have sealed bell housings and starters /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

well...they were white, now they are brown

someone said something about mud getting on there and baking