Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Startin issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerraw117, Feb 18, 2006.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

Alright guys, Im about to kill myself and give K20 my truck.

On Weds, I went out to clean up some of my wiring. After I finished that, my truck had a check engine light, code 43. It also had a surging idle at cold startup. After elimination, it seemed like it was the ignition module. I swapped that out, and when I tried to start it, it wouldnt. When you turn the key, it was like the battery was dead or the battery cables were broken.

So I made a new set of batt cables, and when I went to remove the old cable from the starter, the solenoid housing snapped off. I replaced the starter, bolted up the new cable, charged the battery, and tried to fire it up. It still doesnt want to run, but now when you turn the key off, and remove it, the engine keeps turning over.

To stop it, you have to remove the battery cable. I checked to be sure that the battery cables werent touching anything, and shorting out, and they arent.

I am at wits end, and any help would be appreciated. Its an 85 K5, but it has been converted to a 90 TBI wiring harness, tbi, and computer. HELP!

-Steve

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

so the wires at the stater(big batt cable and a fuse link on the big post, purple wire on the small "S" terminal) are not touching each other? if correct, you probably need a ignition switch

3. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i was thinking it maybe could be the problem. anyone else have any ideas?

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Nah, they aint touchin, I double checked that last night. I thought about the switch, is there a way to test it without replacing it?

5. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

i will have to check but i think i have a used ignition swich if you need it