Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starting a motor that has sat for 6 months

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fred79, Aug 17, 2002.

1. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

I'm looking at a 77jimmy the problem is that it doesn't run right now for two reasons one the owner woln't start it untill the oil is changed and the battery is dead. my question is after changingthe oil what else should i do before starting the engine to prevent damage since it has sat for 6 months with out being turned over.
    does any thing need primed?
    if i toss some dry gas and a octane booster in /forums/images/icons/confused.gif would it be ok to run the old gas out of the tank?

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the gas amy be fine to run with some HEAT brand stuff put in there.i would pull the coil wire and turn over the engine a couple of times so it will get the new oil moving through the engine a little. or you can run a long screwdriver attatchment down to the oil pump attached to a drill to prime the engine.6 months isnt really that long to sit so it should be fine to maybe just start it.see what others have to say though.i started a engine after it sat for 5 years and it ran fine.i blew it up playing dukes of hazard with it though.lol /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

When I bought my K5, it had sat for 9 months, I bought it, started ripping the fender's, doors off, etc... and it sat for another 8 months.........17 months total, and I started it up, drove it home, didn't do anything to it for 2 weeks..... after the 2 weeks of not being able to stop driving it (addiction is wonderful)... I finally kept it parked long enough to do a tune up, plugs, wires, belts etc......... I ran the 1/2 tank that was in the truck when it started sitting out, then filled her up with some good stuff..... ran fine, little bit of white smoke at first start, but after it warmed up, it hasn't smoked since.....

I'd just start it.........

If the guy wont start it till someone changes the oil, why doesnt he just change the oil....... wondering if something is wrong with it.....you'd think if he wanted to sell it, he'd get it ready to be running??????????????? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Brandy

4. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

its some guys wife that selling the jimmy it was a grocery getter and she is overly care full . she's worried it would do some thing to it, i really didn't think it would be a problem because the oil looks clean, old but clean so i fiqured no big deal but would rather not piss her off especially since i'm going to try to get her down to 400-450 for the truck. any ideda's about the brakes she said last time she ran it it seemed like it didn't have brakes when i opened the master cylindar the back container was empty but front was full. any idea's why it wouldn't have brakes cause i ain't taking it anywere till i figure that one out.they have also been sorta aelling it for a year now since she bought a grand cherokee, for better gas milage she said she was getting 8-9 mpg from the jimmy. and tehy don't look like that have had much luck selling it i think people don't want it cause its so old but thats why i want it. old = easy, wastefull but easy

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think I would show on that ladys doorstep with 400 bucks in hand, a battery, 5 gals of fresh gas and some brake fluid. Pay her off, Add the fluid and bleed the brakes if nessary, start it up and drive it home before she can change her mind.
    400 is cheap for a running K5.
    The master cylinder resivor may be out of fluid because of a leaky wheel cylinder or the master cyl may be going out. You should be able to fill it up and pump up the brakes or bleed them enough to get you home. Just check that it does not have a broken brake line. When you get it home you can do a brake job.

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I agree with Thunder 100%. Make that thing yours ASAP. Any running Blazer is worth at least 1K. If you can't get it running easily or find that it has severe brake problems (broken line or something), just pay the extra money and have it towed. Or if you decide to pass on it, tell us where it is and I'm sure someone will grab it up. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif