Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting a truck that sat 4-6 months

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bross82, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

The truck has actually been sitting for over a year and a half but has been started every so often to keep working on things or further diagnose different problems. But, now, it was last started about 4-6 months ago.

I read a post that I can't seem to find about maybe spraying something in each cylinder if its been sitting a while. Is there anything that should be done to prime the motor before starting it such as spraying something to lubricate each cylinder? Thanks!

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This mabey the wrong thing to do but my truck hadn't started in a while (like 5 months) and i just fired it up.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Mine has been sitting for over a year. Here is how I am going to get mine going;

1. Put a squirt of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder.
    2. Change the oil.
    3. Disconnect the coil wire to the dist.
    4. Crank it over till the oil pressure comes up.
    5. Connect the coil wire.
    6. Prime the carb.
    7. Crank 'er till she fires!

The right way to lube the cylinders would be to pull the dist and prime it with the gear on the oil pump, but I'm too lazy :p:

4. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

mine sat for 1 and a half years, got in and fired her up after about 8 cranks or something with the same gass and oil, she didn't sound to good but she fired.

5. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

Mine sat for about 10 months and had a completely new fuel system put in and rebuilt TB. I changed the oil and just cranked it til it started. probably took my like 10 minutes with a bad battery. Ran great, just did a tune up on it last weekend and its running even better.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

4-6 months not that long..

It would not hurt to oil the cylinders,but 4-6 months isn't that long,I doubt any harm would be done if you just spun it over for 20 seconds with the coil or HEI wire off to get things oiled up before firing it up..BTW,using a drill on the oil pump drive will only lube the lifters and rockers,and main and rod bearings..the cylinders will still be dry..so a squirt wont hurt!..

I've taken heads off junkyard motors that sat more than a year,and they still had oil around the rings,and no rust!--others had mice living and peeing in there,and not much was left of the pistons and cylinders looked like rusty water mains,all pitted!..:eek1: --might be a good idea to turn it over by hand a few revolutions,in case someone moved in while it was parked!.if you see any shelled nuts on the intake,I'd be sure no mice are in there...:crazy:

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

and thats why I use a K&N- its steel mesh and cotton soaked gauze allows more flow, while being chew resistant to mice. :haha:

Seriously, cylinders can be dry- but its not as dry as most people make em out to be.

If its been a long time, do a nice oil and filter change. I try and store the k5 with fresh oil in it, but after a year of starting periodically, it still needs to be changed. I've had the same fuel in there for the past 3 years, but I used a very generous dose of fuel stabilizer, and ran it through the system.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

My 6.2 diesel sat for 3 years. Put new oil, filters and went to start it up and it was siezed. Put some marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and the next day had it running. Smoked pretty bad for the first couple days now runs like a champ.